Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 22-11-2015, 07:22 PM   #1
Blueberry
Egg

Post Tunisian Spur-Thighed Tortoises

Hi,

I'm a newbie to this board & this is my first ever post! I've reserved some Tunisian Spur-Thighed hatchling and they are now ready for collection

This will be my first time of keeping tortoises and I've been reading up on them. My problem is that there isn't enough information on the web. In your opinion as a first timer, is this a suitable breed for a novice? The breeder has told me that as long as the temperature is maintained then the tortoises will be fine.

Are there any Tunisian tortoise keepers on this forum?

Also, can someone please guide me on how I can set up the indoor tortoise table? Do I need the sleeping part or not? I was thinking of getting this table: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281727986838
Will this be ok?

Many thanks for your time and for reading this.
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 06:13 PM   #2
CherryBrandy
Adult

Welcome welcome fellow fruit person!

I think it sounds like an Ibera Spur Thigh but just check on certificate. There is lots of info on web sites, just not in the right order or accurate sometimes so I would choose reputable sites such as SW ! etc. those that have a long standing association with husbandry.

Nothing wrong with the tortoise table on your hyperlink from ebay but with little hatchlings try not to spend too much as they grow up quite fast and will outgrow the one suggested in a season (maybe two).

there are some great examples on this site of owners tables and open vivs, the one below I made is very cheap - four pieces of cheap off cut wood which are nailed, (screwed in this case) or glued (safely) and sat onto a plastic grow bag table which is about 4 ft long £13 - total under £20 for a hygienic tort table. Try and futureproof also - ie this is ok out on the grass/lawn/weeds as it just sits on the grow bag table and can be transferred easily, but as I say nothing wrong with the tortoise table on ebay.

Don't be coaxed into getting heated rocks, water bowls, extra houses, foodstuffs etc - it doesn't need to be expensive at all, just adequate to the requirements of the species.

And yes good to have a little hideaway for nighttime and down time. lets us know how you get on and some pickies of the little ones !

Last edited by CherryBrandy; 25-11-2015 at 06:17 PM.
CherryBrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 11:09 PM   #3
mattjstar1
Hatchling

good work cb very cute lol xx
mattjstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 04:46 PM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjstar1 View Post
good work cb very cute lol xx
Thanks Matt ! the tortoise is no trouble at all either. He sits there all day.

Old 26-11-2015, 08:31 PM   #5
SpurThighUK
Egg

Good advice from CherryBrandy. Tunisian Spur Thigh DO NOT hibernate unlike Spur Thigh ibera. You'll learn Blueberry that Spur thigh is a very large and diverse species.. Great tortoises to keep.

Here's some information on the Tunisian Spur thigh:
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/tunisian.html

http://berkshiretortoiseclub.weebly.com
SpurThighUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 04:31 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

thanks olly, I nearly cited your set up as one of best I've seen. I remember them being a lovely deep wooden drawer - bit of a thing for vintage wood. Vikki's looks good also. We need more pickys as had loads of outdoors enclosures, but love looking at indoor designs too, though I will 'kick' my little ones out as soon as I can! CB