Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 10-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
DramaQueen
Egg

Default Terrapins

Can anyone help or give advice as to what my terrapin is up to? She will not stay in the pond and seems to be basking everyday even late into the night. I have to make sure she is in the water before I go to bed.
DramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Is she alone in the pond or do you have other terrapins?

Danny
Old 10-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

From a previous post, it would seem that there are three females and one male, aged 11.

In this case, she may well be carrying eggs and needs to lay.

Have you got a laying/nesting area for her?

A bit more information is needed (water temperature, diet etc)to help properly though, plus photos are always good.
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
DramaQueen
Egg

Thumbs up Little Georgie

Hi all, thanks for the replies. You do have a good memory! Yes 3 females and 1 male. During the summer I found a newt basking with her. Unfortunately the newt didn't survive or it has hibernated! Is it the right time to lay eggs? If so what do I do? Dora the largest one has had eggs before but they were just laid in the water and they ate them. I found remains of egg shells. I did take some out as I found them before they were eaten but they were not fertilized. Also would love to post some pictures of them but don't know how.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:35 AM   #5
DramaQueen
Egg

Hi, yes I have 3 females and 1 male. I have checked Georgie and I do think she has eggs. So any advice would be gratefully received! ClareandCo you have a good memory.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:35 AM   #6
DramaQueen
Egg

also how can I put up pictures of them?
Old 12-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

You need Photobucket or similar:

http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=29355

They can lay eggs all year round and females do not need to have mated. They will need an egg laying area - we used a box hung from the side of a tank but this was for Musks which are smaller and lighter. Put some garden compost/soil in and hopefully she will climb in, dig and lay. You may need to set her up on her own as she may not be happy laying with the others around, although as you say they do lay them in the water but can become egg bound.

Hopefully she will lay them. Presumably you will not incubate them given the problem with so many Sliders and Cooters needing new homes all the time?

You can see when they have eggs and indeed feel them, but I wouldn't suggest you do this.

I looked at your previous posts to see which turtles you had as we have one or two!
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
DramaQueen
Egg

Thanks for your reply. I have moved her into a tank indoors and made a sand bank for her. No I don't want to incubate them, as you said there are too many without homes and not really wanted as pets when they get bigger. But I love mine and really enjoy watching them in the summer.