Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 02-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
pagan queen
Adult

Default This video is amazing.

Watch this autistic girls world open up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMBzJleeOno
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:13 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
Watch this autistic girls world open up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMBzJleeOno
Society does not like anyone to be different. Because or their ignorance of Autism, or any other disability they will always treat them differently as they are scared of the unknown. Which is such a shame as we all can contribute to the mental and physical health and welfare of each other.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:02 PM   #3
Suze65
Adult

Amazing, just goes to show, we shouldn't doubt a child's abilities just because they do or don't do what we expect they should, every child is talented in some way. And also would just like to say, what a wonderful dad . Thanks for sharing Wendy.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:55 PM   #4
pagan queen
Adult

It really struck a chord with me. My son used to behave similar to this before he could talk fluently, banging his head etc. He has Aspergers syndrome. I showed him the video and he said she is absolutely right, it perfectly explains how it feels. He covers his ears even now and wont look people in the eye. We can't go to certain places as he can't cope with the acoustics, places like shopping malls.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
Old 03-10-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
emma_mcraf
Adult

I saw this film a little while ago and it helped a lot of things to make sense.
Our little chap has ear defenders now when we go anywhere particularly noisy and sometimes he puts them on at home if the noise levels get too much for him. His eye contact has improved a little but just like Carly, he has the most wonderful sense of humour and not only that, these wonderful snippets of true intellect spout out now and then and we wonder where on earth it came from. He can be so deep and give such concise information. His speech therapy really changed him, much more than I ever expected it to.
Carly's parents have my utmost respect and it's amazing that they now have this special connection with their daughter. She's far from being mentally retarded.

BTW Wendy, did you know they no longer diagnose Aspergers? Since the update of the DSM to DSM V last year, Aspergers has lost its status and just comes under the umbrella of Autism. They don't acknowledge it as a separate diagnosis anymore. Now they just diagnose an Autistic Spectrum Disorder. There are no sub-categories of autism at all. I was a bit perturbed when I discovered that after reading so much about how Hans Aspergers spent years researching and discovering that people with Aspergers had their own unique set of symptoms, particularly in their social skills.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #6
pagan queen
Adult

I didn't know that Emma, not having had anything to do with the professionals in quite some time. I do always say he has Autism though because I got fed up with trying to explain what Aspergers was. Everyone seems to know what Autism is. And also people who have heard of it seem to think it's just a small thing. I got comments like "Oh that's just mild Autism." We both know that there's nothing mild about it, not to the people who have it and those who live with that person.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
Old 03-10-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
emma_mcraf
Adult

I didn't know until little man's last appointment in the summer. He'd always been referred to by the paeds as having suspected Aspergers and the ADOS assessment used for diagnosis had different parameters for Asperger Syndrome and Autism. I assume that assessment is now scored differently.

I do the same thing and refer to his having autism. I find the whole assessment procedure farcical to be honest. The waiting lists are quite ridiculous.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote