Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 09-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
abbs
Egg

Unhappy Hatchling won't eat

Have a 7 day old TG Ibera hatchling that doesn't seem to want to eat.

It pipped on day 58 and took a day to come out of its egg. It weighs 10.8 and is perfectly formed but small in size compared with its siblings and only wants to sleep.

I have tried to tempt it with dandelions, clovers, lettuce and a number of other tortoise friendly weeds (after a tepid bath) but it does not seem interested. Another hatchling born 4 days ago is alot bigger and eating nicely.

Will it eat in its own time? Is there anything else I can do to help? Would be grateful for any assistance - haven't experienced this situation before.

Many thanks

Last edited by abbs; 09-08-2010 at 06:20 PM.
abbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M
Wink

It will eat in its own time. One of my hatchlings took a week to start eating. Seemed to be waiting for her hatchmate to hatch and show her how its done

Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
shellonia
Sub Adult

Could be it's still absorbing the last of its yolk.Keep bathing it and I'm sure it won't be long.I know it's a worry.I had one little one like that.Keep us posted abbs
shellonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
abbs
Egg

Still no change... bathing it regularly (i think it is drinking whilst bathing but not 100%) it seems a struggle to even open its eyes and I have noticed that its shell is a lot softer than the other hatchlings too - Seriously considering the vets in the morning.

Has anyone had similar experiences? is there a much a vet can do with such a little one?

Extremely worried
abbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #5
Neddy
Sub Adult

Hi Abbs,

I am sorry to hear your little one isnt eating yet I would suggest a vet takes a look, but you could PM Dan he might have a few suggestions

Cheers

Sara
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
yuna1971
Adult

Whats the name of that stuff you can put in the bath water, repto boost is it?? Anyone...is this worth a try for Abbs??? (Abbs, still might be best if you speak to an exotics vet though) xxx
I dont have much to offer here as havent owned something so young and wee but I presume all the food is all ripped up or something...and mixed up?
Is this anything that is done with young babies...and can this be done here? Maybe adding a bit of cucumber in the mix to stimulate his senses??
Sorry...thats a rubbish suggestion isnt it. But I just thought it might be worth saying.
Hope things improve and Sara is right, see if Danny can help or PM him.
xxx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:52 PM   #7
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

I've had hatchlings take 3 weeks to start to eat. Just keep the little one hydrated and it will get the idea from the other hatchlings to eat. Just make sure to put it in front of the food when you put the food in.

Danny
Old 11-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #8
tortoise_dude
Hatched

They get all the nutrients they need from the yolk sack for a while, so I wouldn't worry. Are you offering a humid hide to keep up hydration? I keep my babies more on the humid side as in the wild they spend a lot of their time in the undergrowth. A light mist before the lights come on and after they have gone off at night. Remember to keep cleaning the spray bottle though as warm water can be a breeding ground for bacteria.
tortoise_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #9
KatjaS
Incubating

Hi All my hatchlings didn´t eat before they were about 12-15 days old..! They will be ok if they are drinking regularly

Don´t try to forcefeedin her; it´s maby too stressfull for a little hatchling. She will eat when she becomes hungry
Old 12-08-2010, 03:20 PM   #10
sulcata sam
Incubating

This has also happened to me sometimes they eat nothing then take a few bites outa a dandy,My hatchlings go into a seed propagatorwith dapened kitchen towel on with a 40watt light bulb over it that keeps it humid did u put the egg shell inside as well somtimes they will nibble on it have seen most of mine do it ,they eventually eat but it takes a while some take to eating straight away then others a couple of weeks as long as there is water in there , the torts gradually start eating .

Mike
sulcata sam is offline   Reply With Quote