Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 21-10-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
Aeromonas
Egg

Default Eggs incubation substrate for star tortoise

Hello to all, i am new here. Got a question to ask:
What is the suitable eggs incubation substrate to use for star tortoise eggs apart from vermiculite? Vermiculite is not available at the place i live. I can find perlite, moss, coconut husk, etc. If perlite can be used, what is the perlite:water ratio? Thanks a lot !
Aeromonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Perlite is just fine You only want the perlite just damp, so a perlite to water ratio should be 1/.5 by weight. You do though need air humidity, so a wide shallow container of water in the incubator will do that. You want the humidity between 70% and 80%.

Danny
Old 22-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
Aeromonas
Egg

Thumbs up

Thanks a lot egyptiandan64.
Perlite to water ratio at 1/.5 by weight. I tested and rather confused as the perlite is extremely light, the amount of water seem very little and far from able to make the perlite damp. Alright if this is really the amount needed.

My star tortoises have started to mate now for the second time. Last year all their eggs spoiled (first timer). I incubated them at 31 C and humidity 75%. But the perlite was quite damp (I soaked the perlite in water, drained off excess water and used it to cover half the eggs for incubation). Could the overly damp perlite be the reason for previous failure?

The place i live having these parameters: Temperature: 28 C - 33 C; Humidity: 70% - 90% (Over 90% when rain). Do i still need an incubator?

I really want to make this round a success. Your advises and helps from members are very much appreciated. Please help!

Cheers!
Old 22-10-2011, 11:48 PM   #4
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Your problem last time could have been to damp of a substrate. To much water in the substrate will let the eggs soak up to much water and crack or just become unable to exchange oxygen through the shell.
You really don't have to make the perlite damp at all if the air is humid. With your temperatures and humidity you wouldn't need an incubator. Just find a dark place (a closet maybe) and place them in an open container pushed only halfway into the perlite.

Danny
Old 23-10-2011, 05:51 AM   #5
Aeromonas
Egg

Thanks Danny.
Your answers are precise and clear, that's what i needed.
Now i am clear with what i should do. Very happy. Thanks again!

Last edited by egyptiandan64; 23-10-2011 at 12:37 PM.