Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
scapula
Incubating

Default Hibernation aborted in panic!

I had a lot of problems getting the fridge stable, after I got it to 5/6 degrees for a few days, I loaded the tortoises in (they had been outside in a monitored shed) The fridge is in the boiler room as it gets very cold here.
Yesterday I noticed the temperature had dropped to -2, I rushed and got them out and woke them up in a warm bath, one I really thought was dead but she finally came around a lot later, Their eyes are ok and they are now sleeping comfortably at room temperature. I havent fed them yet.
Question is can I put them back into the shed and find another fridge or do I have to over winter them now? Which is tricky for me in my current accomadation. Or do I feed them and wind them down again.
I really dont know what to do and feel its all messed up now. has anyone had this problem before? They are Iberas and adult
Regards
Old 06-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapula View Post
I had a lot of problems getting the fridge stable, after I got it to 5/6 degrees for a few days, I loaded the tortoises in (they had been outside in a monitored shed) The fridge is in the boiler room as it gets very cold here.
Yesterday I noticed the temperature had dropped to -2, I rushed and got them out and woke them up in a warm bath, one I really thought was dead but she finally came around a lot later, Their eyes are ok and they are now sleeping comfortably at room temperature. I havent fed them yet.
Question is can I put them back into the shed and find another fridge or do I have to over winter them now? Which is tricky for me in my current accomadation. Or do I feed them and wind them down again.
I really dont know what to do and feel its all messed up now. has anyone had this problem before? They are Iberas and adult
Regards
Once they have been warmed up, its not safe to put them back into hibernation again. As it can mess up their hormones, body clock and fat reserves.
I don't use a fridge for the above reasons, and they can also break down.
All my iberas bury down in my greenhouse soil. And I have done it this way for the last fifteen years. It works well.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
Old 06-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
Levi
Hatched

I agree with Sandy, get them active and eating. You really need to let them warm up gradually after coming out of the fridge, no warm baths until they are at least at room temperature.

I love fridge hibernation but I think a lot of fridges aren't 100% trustworthy, I bought a new fridge and had to connect it up to a Digital Thermostat as it's temperature wasn't at all stable, used to get too cold. It's been perfect for the last few years.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
scapula
Incubating

I started with cold water and gradually increased it to luke warm I think natural hibernation is the best way but impossible here as it gets down to -25 during the winter although the local vet knows of one that escaped and survived under the snow all winter. I am in the Alps.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
Levi
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapula View Post
I started with cold water and gradually increased it to luke warm I think natural hibernation is the best way but impossible here as it gets down to -25 during the winter although the local vet knows of one that escaped and survived under the snow all winter. I am in the Alps.
Good to hear, I know others have done warm baths straight out of the fridge and it obviously isn't a good idea.

What's was the temp in your boiler room, generally fridges like it at a constant (hopefully room) temperature, the more stable the room temperature the less the fridge temp should fluctuate.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
scapula
Incubating

It is constant 17 degrees in there and it is built into the cave under the chalet and the room is packed with junk so it should be quite stable ..the boiler will be on for the winter now.
I have found a digital stat that will control at 5 degrees so I may play around with that. Still dont know about the torts as they were only in there a few days. But they did have a long wind down and were very much asleep when they went in. They are asleep now and havent stirred all day in the living room.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #7
EJ
Adult

Ironic... aint it... you have to wonder what kind of stress a keeper places on a tortoise running it through this kind of scenario... not to mention the stress that is placed on the keeper... and to what end?
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
Old 08-12-2013, 11:18 PM   #8
yuna1971
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
Ironic... aint it... you have to wonder what kind of stress a keeper places on a tortoise running it through this kind of scenario... not to mention the stress that is placed on the keeper... and to what end?

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
Old 08-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #9
alley cat
Adult

Quote:
I seem to remember you saying not so long ago that you hibernate/bruminate some of your own tortoises, although may be not in a fridge, am I wrong?
Old 09-12-2013, 12:11 AM   #10
Levi
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley cat View Post
I seem to remember you saying not so long ago that you hibernate/bruminate some of your own tortoises, although may be not in a fridge, am I wrong?
As far as I know Ed still forces his larger outside torts into "survival mode" (AKA hibernation, due to lack of space etc) but I think he only hibernates species that keepers wouldn't normally hibernate.

Quote:
... and to what end?
Well for one thing hibernation is damned convenient, surely you of all people should know that Ed !
Closed Thread