Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 07-12-2010, 07:38 PM   #11
Dreamer
Egg

Lucky you! Just be sure to get the vet check as someone else said.
xx
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #12
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been looking to get a tortoise for about 18 months and have done a lot of research and not rushed into it. I've been offered two 3 yr old Horsefield tortoises. The owner doesn't want them anymore. She says they were treated very badly by her brother, but have made good progress since she took them about a year ago. Having said that, she has been feeding them greens, along with boiled egg and chicken!! Now, I've done enough research to know that boiled egg and chicken shouldn't be given to Horsefields due to the high amount of protein. I plan to feed my tortoises (when I get them) weeds from my garden.

She says they have very slight pyramiding, but are "growing out of it". They are, apparently, in good health otherwise. I've kinda already made up my mind that I know much more about tortoises than she does (although she is clearly trying her best, albeit still misguided) and they would be better off with me. What does everything think?

Cheers,

Peter
Hi Peter, if you take them on pictures can be posted and in the Identify and sexing section. The diet change could take time as some tort's get used to certain thing's fed constantly. The protein food like egg and chicken would depend on how much and how often, to say if it has made any difference, although not the best to feed. If they have been outside in the summer could be a bonus. Are you buying them.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:08 PM   #13
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 shells View Post
Hi Peter, if you take them on pictures can be posted and in the Identify and sexing section. The diet change could take time as some tort's get used to certain thing's fed constantly. The protein food like egg and chicken would depend on how much and how often, to say if it has made any difference, although not the best to feed. If they have been outside in the summer could be a bonus. Are you buying them.
I'm paying a small amount for them. Apparently they were treated very badly before the current owner got them, that's why they have slight pyramiding. The current owner has given them mainly green, leafy vegetables. I doubt they've ever been outside. Can the pyramiding become less noticeable with a better diet?
Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #14
jamestaylor18
Hatched

Awe nice to hear that a couple of torts that have had a rough start are getting a second chance. Mine had a rough start in the pet shop they came from but have come on a treat! Lovely shells now, big bright eyes & NOW worm free!

Horsefields are fab i love mine to bits! Such sweet little characters! I wanted a tort for years but never got one until this year! Best thing i ever did! If ya need any advice just post on the forums always sumone about day or night
x1 Tree Frog (Freddie)
x1 Corn Snake (Nessie)
jamestaylor18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #15
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Peter

Pyramidding doesn't go away but yes, as the tort grows then with the right diet, care and husbandry it should become less noticeable.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:27 AM   #16
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Thanks for all the responses.

I've been reading about pyramiding on another thread and the issue of humidity keeps coming up. Should I spray the sand/topsoil with water? If so, how often should I do it?

Many thanks again.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #17
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Depends how dry and dusty it is. I use a childs watering can to do mine every now and again.

Some people also have a humid hide in their enclosure,

Please bear in mind thogh that Horsfields don't do well in cold and damp conditions, see what other Horsfield keepers have to say about having a humid area
Old 08-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #18
ibizathetort
Adult

I tend not to have a humid area, my horsfields steer clear of damp areas (but enjoy their baths, go figure lol), I use a trigger spray on the soil once a day just to dampen the soil, stop it going dusty
ibizathetort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #19
WriterNick
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to WriterNick

As the others have said Petrus, Horsfields are the one tortoise that don't like humidity. I don't dampen the soil at all for my Horsfield, if it gets a bit dusty that's just like their natural conditions in central Asia. Others might have different ideas, I am sure that everything will work out great!
WriterNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:47 AM   #20
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Ok, I've found out a bit more about the history of these two wee guys. When they came to the current owner, they had lumpy and soft shells. The shells have now hardened and the pyramiding is less obvious. However, they only have an Exo Terra Sun Glo Neodymium light. I don't think this gives UVB. They have been given UVB supplements. In the nest few months I'm gonna completely upgrade the lighting. Will using the Sun Glo light and supplements be ok for now?