Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 13-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
Taszia
Hatchling

Default Please help what to feed?

I have been fine with leaves and the odd bit of lambs lettuce but now the frost has really kicked in I have nothing even the pansies have shrivelled ! I have tried Komodo and pre alpin and they both take a few bites then give up on it . What can I buy and from where ? To keep them happy ? I see some people say floret mixed lettuce but is it ok ? Y baby's are 11 months and 6 months x

2 Dogs . Alfie. Riley.1 Cat . Lillyum.1Cockatoo. Cookey.2 baby THB . Geoffrey/Geoffreyna. Georgina/George.
Taszia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
BeatBeat
Hatchling

In winter mine have soaked Komodo once every 10-14 days or so. the rest of the time they have floret mix. veg such as carrots, cauli, cabbage, brussels, sweet potatoe (they prefer cooked) plus Cucumber, tomatoes.
A little fruit such as strawberries, blueberries, banana, pear, apple, raspberries

Hope that helps.

0.2.0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri (Matilda & Maizie)
3.0.0 Shetland Sheepdogs (Bryan, Cali & Bubble)
BeatBeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
BeatBeat
Hatchling

Hope that helps

0.2.0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri (Matilda & Maizie)
3.0.0 Shetland Sheepdogs (Bryan, Cali & Bubble)
BeatBeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
emma_mcraf
Adult

I'm still finding a lot of slender plantain and cat's ear about and I add radicchio and romaine to bulk it out. I feed mazuri pellets once a week too.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
Taszia
Hatchling

I was told not to give much fruit n veg due to them being tiny and it not being good for them that is why I have been so confused always had them on weeds x

2 Dogs . Alfie. Riley.1 Cat . Lillyum.1Cockatoo. Cookey.2 baby THB . Geoffrey/Geoffreyna. Georgina/George.
Taszia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
Suze65
Adult

Florette mixed lettuce with lambs lettuce , rocket, romain lettuce, I mix the pre alpin into the lettuce like a mixed salad so they don't notice it, try just a little pre Alpin to start with and increase it , and any weeds you can find . I'm still finding dandelion leaves , try some Dried flowers sprinkled on top, you can get them from SW. I don't recommend fruit as med torts are not fruit eaters , strawberries are a rare treat. Hope this helps.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
burnt toast
Adult

I was sat in my car at a junction today looking at the weeds on the grass verge. (sad I know!) they were lay flat & coated in frost but you would be surprised how quickly they recover. I dont pick when snow is on the ground (obviously) & whilst frosty but any other time there are weeds to be had.

You can mix with this: http://shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=61697 (look in this thread there are a couple of dried foods) I feed them dry - some say to spray with water. I find my younger torts are more inclined to eat dried foods.

There is also butternut squash, which you can grate & serve raw or chop into small chunks & boil lightly.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 12:14 AM   #8
cherylahutch
Adult

I'm really sad and do things like that as well I am always saying to my hubby oh look at all that plantain the tortoises would love that lol.

I am feeding salad leaves and pellets at the moment as well as butter nut squash. Mine keep eating there spider plants at the moment I have 3 and swap them round to let them grow a bit. You can give them pansys which are pretty hardy I got some in the clearance section at B & Q for 75p which will hopefully do ok indoors there are still a few weeds about in sheltered spots if your lucky.
Old 14-12-2012, 07:57 AM   #9
Pussygalore
Adult

sorry beat beat but cauli, cabbage, brussels and fruit are a big no no for most of the med torts.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #10
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
sorry beat beat but cauli, cabbage, brussels and fruit are a big no no for most of the med torts.
I agree !!

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote