Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 30-09-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
Tortoise Grandma
Egg

Default Weed Id Please

Hi

Been weed picking tonight and wondered if anyone could kindly identify these before I feed them to my Hermans tortoise

Thanks

Dawn
Tortoise Grandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
purplelynn
Sub Adult

Last two pics are plantain - good, ragwort - toxic as for the rest sorry not sure
purplelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
Star
Sub Adult

Hi Dawn,

Pic 4 is mallow leaves I think, which are ok....

Pic 6 is one of the slender plantains (the long thinner leaves) and plantain, they are also edible.

Good luck
0.5.0. Playful T.H.H / T.H.B
11 Tropical Fish
1 Bearded Lizard
Lots of Aspirin
Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
weeg
Egg

top looks like nightshade, do not feed that one either,another is geum picture 4, i think thats not on a list i have found, I would stick with dandelions and plantain and last of the petunias calendula that are about until someone can ID them for sure, there is a good list on here, i was looking through it last night, my advice, if in doubt dont feed them at all ,

weeg

1 Newfoundland .Poppy
1 Demented cat Poxy Roxy
50 odd Serama
and Smartie My little Horsfieldi

www.rosecottageserama.com

Last edited by weeg; 30-09-2009 at 10:17 PM.
weeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 10:25 PM   #5
Tortoise Grandma
Egg

Smile

Thanks for looking - and your help!! It's a minefield isn't it. Came back with two carrier bags full of I don't know what!! Sometimes it is difficult to identify if the pictures I've printed for comparison are from a different angle or have flowers on! I think for now I will just stick with plantain, clover and the mallows as identified. At least I found a new one with mallow - not seen that one before. I am going to go back tomorrow and dig up the ones I can give by the roots and plant them in the garden!!

Dawn
Old 30-09-2009, 10:29 PM   #6
Star
Sub Adult

Hi Dawn,

this is a picture of a Mallow plant, make sure this is where the leaves came from.....its quite distinctive so you wouldnt forget it when you see it, and mine love these

They are very hard to replant, you must dig down as much as possible as the root is very deep.....I have tried to pull them out but with no luck....even a small amount of root can be replanted... Good luck

11 Tropical Fish
1 Bearded Lizard
Lots of Aspirin
Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb
Old 30-09-2009, 10:38 PM   #7
Tortoise Grandma
Egg

Thanks for that Star. The leaves seem quite hairy and very dark green. I will check them against some of the links in the weed identification sticky. It's really difficult to be sure when you are just starting out isn't it. I was walking around the woods with my daughter looking tonight and said to her that "we could do with someone from shelled warriors walking around here with us as we will probably end up with a bag of rubbish!" Mind you, we did get quite a lot of the slender plantain and I managed to get one of them up by the roots so that will be planted first thing in the morning before I go to work!
Old 30-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #8
Star
Sub Adult

They do have a furry feel, so it sounds like its the one....once you find one and go to pull it out, you will definitly know its mallow

I know what you mean about not being 100% sure, but be assured, you will get lots more feed back so dont throw them away, some may still be good

It would be great to have some one point some out.....maybe we could do a weed trail we could all meet up over a park or nice green area, and be shown some of the edible weeds and plants, it would definitly help I know I still need help and advice about some weeds, I probably pass loads that they can eat, not picking them as I am not 100% sure...but then I was very lucky....a friend from SW sent some leaves back with one of my tortoises, and I studied them, and went out and hunted for them, and I have not collected them all you will get better....

A tip is to search the image of the plant or weed, and find around four good pics of it, as some pictures dont always look like the weed or plant you see, but a few images of it at different growths, really helped me to find and identify them

Good luck
11 Tropical Fish
1 Bearded Lizard
Lots of Aspirin
Old 01-10-2009, 12:26 AM   #9
Kirkie
Adult

I think 3 is coltsfoot, which is a no.
4 isn't Mallow (sorry Star) Not sure of the name but I have it in my garden and the tortoises leave it alone so I'd say a no.
5 is Groundsel, another no I'm afraid.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:23 AM   #10
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

The 2nd last pic is plantain, slender and greater but in some of your pics it looks like the plants are covered in mould/mildew and if so don't feed them
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote