Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 30-07-2006, 12:48 PM   #21
sandy
Adult

Lots of breeders around so that you dont interbreed. If Andy says not to worry to much who are
we to argue<g>.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 12:58 PM   #22
Joanne
Egg

I am very reluctant to seek out a companion for my Hermann's since she has been showing territorial behaviour to anything entering her enclosure. Have recently moved to this area and where I set my babies garden up, I soon found out that frogs visit often due to their migration to and from a local pond! My tortoise is not a happy tort and charging at all the little froggies. Last month, it was next doors bunny she was attacking!! I am currently repositioning her empire to a quieter spot and although I say HER, I am aware that her sex is not yet apparent (she is only 18 months old). The only things she tends not to attack is me (because I bring her treats) and a friends tortoise called Murtle. Butterflies, spiders, boyfriend, little sister.....they all get a nip! She is destined to be an only child which is a shame since her new enclosure could house 6 fully mature Hermann's. She may calm down as she gets older.

Joanne
Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 01:14 PM   #23
sandy
Adult

Where did you get your hermanns?
As if from a breeder, he/she could be missing clutch mates<g>.
From my experience females are not as territorial as males. Although you always get one to
prove you wrong<g>.

Old 30-07-2006, 01:32 PM   #24
Joanne
Egg

Hey Sandy,

Have a funny feeling that my little Princess is actually a Prince thus the territorial attitude! This has only occured since the heatwave has begun so I presume it is instinctive. She still persists in following me everywhere and stretching her head out for a petting session so is as lovable as ever towards me. I am not particularly worried and have no intention of changing her name once I do discover her sex. I will just have to put signs up in my garden cautioning against 'Attacks from the killer Tortoise'......Bless her!!

Joanne
Old 30-07-2006, 01:34 PM   #25
sandy
Adult

You didnt say whether you got your tort from a breeder or not<g>.

Old 30-07-2006, 02:05 PM   #26
Joanne
Egg

Sorry Sandy, I get carried away.

I got my Princess from a friend who had bred her tortoises for the first time and this particular hatchling was very poorly in it's first year. She was alot smaller than her siblings and had to be isolated due to RNS which is how she ended up moving in with me. Once here, I could never part with her and although she is still smaller than normal, she is quite happy growing in her own time. I think slow growth is better anyway as do not intend to promote deformity in her shell or anywhere else for that matter. RNS is now clear and she is pest free and in perfect health......just territorial!

Joanne.
Old 30-07-2006, 06:18 PM   #27
sandy
Adult

Well done you, RNS can stress not only the tortoise<g>.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:53 PM   #28
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne
I am very reluctant to seek out a companion for my Hermann's since she has been showing territorial behaviour to anything entering her enclosure. Have recently moved to this area and where I set my babies garden up, I soon found out that frogs visit often due to their migration to and from a local pond! My tortoise is not a happy tort and charging at all the little froggies. Last month, it was next doors bunny she was attacking!! I am currently repositioning her empire to a quieter spot and although I say HER, I am aware that her sex is not yet apparent (she is only 18 months old). The only things she tends not to attack is me (because I bring her treats) and a friends tortoise called Murtle. Butterflies, spiders, boyfriend, little sister.....they all get a nip! She is destined to be an only child which is a shame since her new enclosure could house 6 fully mature Hermann's. She may calm down as she gets older.

Joanne
Hi Joanne,

is Murtle a sibling to your tortoise? She obviously doesn't mind sharing her space with Murtle!

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:27 PM   #29
Joanne
Egg

Hello,

Murtle is of no relation to Marika and although Murtle is a female name, it has recently become apparent that she is actually a HE! (He became rather excited in the bath on his 4th birthday!) They have only been interacting together during the last 6 months as I wanted to ensure they would not be passing worms and other nasties to each other. Best to be safe than sorry and Murtle had originally arrived in this country on a Slovenian certificate we believe.

Marika follows Murtle around everywhere, sniffs at what he sniffs and eats what he does (even if she doesn't like it, she'll bite a piece off and spit it out!) Very strange but there you have it.

She may calm down as she gets older and if she does, I hope to provide a home for more Hermann's. If not, then I'll be quite content with my one tortoise with the occassional visit from Murtle.

Joanne.