Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 02-09-2006, 04:18 PM   #11
Maude
Egg

I have another two horsefields. One supposed to be a male and the other a female. They both look alike at the moment although one has a long tail and the other one more of a stumpy wider tail. I got them from a friend who has a pet shop and who found them on the doorstep abandoned. He thought that they were about 6 - 12 months old at that time and I have had them nearly six years. They don't fight at all. You might be right about the small one being a male. I left all three in the garden for an hour or so and the little one repeatedly went for what I beleive to be the older male but was just happy to follow the female. Perhaps I now have two males. When I took all three to the vet for a check up she thought they were all females but this is the vet who explained about hibernation in the fridge and then told me that one of her own had woken up with some sort of breathing disorder and the other had to have a leg amputated. I don't think I'll bother with that.

Thanks for the advice. Will keep an eye on speedy and see how he goes.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:46 PM   #12
pmullen

change vets
well if your not happy
Old 02-09-2006, 07:34 PM   #13
sandy
Adult

It does sound very much like the new tortoise is wild caught. Thats probably why he/she is
acting so differently.
A long quarrentine would be advised. He/she will get used to being handled. Time and patience<g>.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:49 PM   #14
Maude
Egg

Thanks to all for the info and advice given. I feel much better now.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:51 AM   #15
ANDY T
Egg

Send a message via MSN to ANDY T

what are your thoughts on having two tort s as of just one

do they like company or are they not bothered

i am busy getting used to my tort and want to be sure i know exactly what I'm doing raising my tort before getting he or she a pal

horsfields are meant to be a bit funny if its a male and a male though are nt they ??????????????????????????????
ANDY T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:36 PM   #16
Maude
Egg

Not too sure. All I know is that my two older ones get on well together. There is a bit of pushing and shoving for the food sometimes when they are indoors but they always seem to walk together in the enclosure and its very rare that you find one on its own. They seem to follow each oher and when one stops the other one does. I think it must be company for them. Hell - who wants to spend the rest of their lives on their own.

I know of a lady who rescues torties and she has about 50 and they all seem to live together in like a huge conservatory type set up. Give it a go and see what happens although don't forget about the quarantine.

Good Luck
Old 03-09-2006, 04:41 PM   #17
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

Well in the wild tortoises only tend to come together to mate. My hermanns currently live in pairs and after hibernation they will live as a group. I also keep a couple of tortoises on their own and they don't seem to be too bothered by not having a companion.

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote