Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 24-09-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
truffel
Egg

Default Help new tortoise mummy

Hi i have fallen in the trap of petshop with the viv, after reading im worried its not safe can you advise me please? really confused as he loves it now i put soil and sand thanks x selina
truffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by truffel View Post
Hi i have fallen in the trap of petshop with the viv, after reading im worried its not safe can you advise me please? really confused as he loves it now i put soil and sand thanks x selina
How old is the tort and what breed, there is an opinion that a viv with adequate ventilation, is ok for a tort for the first year's.
Old 24-09-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
gregnobes
Sub Adult

welcome u can turn it on its side and remove the glass or build him a table but also what tortoises do u keep
gregnobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
ziggy's owner
Adult

i use vivs and i have taken the doors off, and put a extra small but so torts cant fall out, and i find this is great for my spurs

2.0.0 spur thighs
2.3.0 hermanns
2.1.1 marginated
0.0.4 leopard
2.8.0 guinea pigs
1.2.0 Springers
1.0.0 hamster
0.0.1 Blue Tongue skink
2.2.0 Beardies
And tropical fish
Also have baby marginated tortoises for sale
ziggy's owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
yuna1971
Adult

I do agree with Paul. I am not a lover of vivs at all. But however, I have the same opinion as Paul in terms that it can be beneficial and sufficient for a tortoise of a very young age. Long term, you can look to what Laura and what Greg have said - in that you can turn it upside down (so the glass is on top) then remove the glass. Generally speaking for torts over a year or so old, a tortoise table is the best option. xx
I am also presuming that your little one is healthy........no signs of RNS etc. Again, pet shop horror stories.... (RNS - bubbles from nose, runny nose, noises when breathing, breathing which seems laboured)... Sorry, I dont wish to worry you for no reason but just to trying to keep you aware of things. xx
xxx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
truffel
Egg

Thanks for all advice so far, my truffel is a horsefield pet shop said approx 2yrs, i spent £250 on him, which is so worth it he is adorable you can see him in my avater, as for breathing etc no signs of that, he seems pretty healthy and eating everything, i have no money left now lol, so may have to turn the viv over then, though theres to air vent holes on the back how to i stop sand and soil coming out, he seems pretty happy, though after reading online advice and forums the pet shop said so many wrong things he said to feed it lettuce tomatos and cucumber, where as i have bought seeds from sw hence i found the forum, and their already growing and bought florette crispy and picked some dandilions for the mean time, i wont truffel to have the best life though i have spent most my money on him this week proberbly take a month to saught out, im gutted really as i called the pet shop to see if he can get a tortoise table for exchange but he was adement that vivs are the best so he wouldnt exchange, but did say he could find out how much one is if i want one,

Thanks so much any other tips i should know or how to set up a cheap table please let me know im very new at this only had truffel for 1 day and love him already

xx
Old 24-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #7
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by truffel View Post
Thanks for all advice so far, my truffel is a horsefield pet shop said approx 2yrs, i spent £250 on him, which is so worth it he is adorable you can see him in my avater, as for breathing etc no signs of that, he seems pretty healthy and eating everything, i have no money left now lol, so may have to turn the viv over then, though theres to air vent holes on the back how to i stop sand and soil coming out, he seems pretty happy, though after reading online advice and forums the pet shop said so many wrong things he said to feed it lettuce tomatos and cucumber, where as i have bought seeds from sw hence i found the forum, and their already growing and bought florette crispy and picked some dandilions for the mean time, i wont truffel to have the best life though i have spent most my money on him this week proberbly take a month to saught out, im gutted really as i called the pet shop to see if he can get a tortoise table for exchange but he was adement that vivs are the best so he wouldnt exchange, but did say he could find out how much one is if i want one,

Thanks so much any other tips i should know or how to set up a cheap table please let me know im very new at this only had truffel for 1 day and love him already

xx
Ok, what i would do is keep the tort in the viv from now till next spring, he will be warm enough, bath regular, and he should be ok.
You can spend more time looking at tables ect, reading up more on what you want . Good that you have looked into foods, and don't buy a table from the pet shop, they are cheaper to make, as i would keep the viv for the winter and buy a good digital thermometer for less than a tenner, this will record the temps spot on in the viv.
They should be about 32c near the heat source and 21c about, near the the cool end.
Old 24-09-2010, 08:26 PM   #8
yuna1971
Adult

Some Petshops are rubbish at advice (not all)...hence the diet and the housing.
You probably will want to take what you have in there all out. Start from scratch. Turn it over, take the glass out and then it becomes your tort table.
Then put something waterproof on it - to line it. Something like tarpaulin. You want it going up the sides a little. Then use a staple gun to staple this in place.
This then becomes your base.
Then either go for a 70% sterilised topsoil, 30% play sand (mixed together) substrate - confirm with others how much to put in. Something like 4-6 inches (confirmation someone...x) OR...you can just use plain sterilised topsoil ON ITS OWN. Same depth.
Thats your substrate taken care of.
Lighting -you can change this too. I would go for a combined heat and UV bulb. Something like the Solar Glo 125w (SW Shop sells them I think)...or something like a Mega Ray 120w. The fixtures - we can discuss, once you decide.
Having a combined bulb - in the long term - would be more beneficial to him than having separates. You probably have a strip and a basking bulb fixed in the viv at the moment.
Can you confirm what strip you have - and what wattage basking bulb??
To fit the combined bulb (which I think will suit best) - you will need a few things. You will need a lamp stand, and a holder which will take the wattage of the bulb. THe stand works as it will hold the lamp holder (which in turn holds the bulb). The combined bulbs have to be placed, so that they shine vertically downwards. They must not face in at angles.
Dont be too worried if Truffel seems a bit quiet and out of sorts for a few days or weeks. Its is new to him, its a new place with new things. Torts are not too happy at change - so he will need time to settle. This also will affect his activity levels and appetite. But, this is normal. Keep us posted on that if it continues for too long.

I am happy to help you further with the lighting and fixtures. I would have a good search on the housing threads for combined bulbs. Get to know them better. And then ask things you are not sure about.
Dont worry about asking lots - we all have to learn somewhere. And we have all been in your position. I still worry unnecessarily now....thats just me!
So keep asking things. You are doing fine and things will be ok
Diet - fruit should be a rare treat. Weeds/plants/flowers are their main diet. You can mix in a bit of rommaine lettuce (sold at ASDA etc) and bit of florrette bagged salad mix - but weeds are the main diet. See the weed section for more info on this. I also have some links to sites with pictures - to help you if needed. There is also a printable weed list too on the weed section that you can print out.
Pellets can also be used - and lots of owners have effectively used them. xxx
Sorry to babble.....
**Just read what Paul has said...and I think maybe it is easier to keep him where he is (short term), but maybe change the substrate. Not sure if the lighting changes that I have suggested, would work in the viv - so again, maybe leave it - til next spring for changes as Paul suggests**

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025

Last edited by yuna1971; 24-09-2010 at 08:31 PM.
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #9
truffel
Egg

Thanks for all that advice both of you, i think it would be helpfull to me to keep him in the viv until spring then i can get him the best home to suit him, when i took him home he had wood shippings, which i have changed too sand and soil, along with stones and a slab of rock, can you see my pic in avatar not sure how to attach a photo lol, then i can start making him a tort table, i only had one light fitting in the stater kit i bought him in, which is a long tube one, sorry not sure what its called and no idea what you mean by basking bulb can you explain, and if i need this as i only have the one long one, thanks so much i wont him to have the healthiest happy life, he also seems happy eating well though not sure how much he should eat a day has done 2 poos since i had him is this normal ?? thanks again xx
Old 24-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #10
truffel
Egg

Oh another thing paul you said bath regular sorry hope i dont sound silly but how often?? and warm water, shallow etc thanks