Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 26-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #1
ben_e71
Incubating

Default On his back mystery

Weird one yesterday. Torts were out in outside run - which as its being rebuilt is dead flat. Just slate chippings on ground.

Checked on torts and then 10 mins later went outside and one in middle of run on its back. No real idea how. Luckily we were in so could right him.

But not really sure how he managed to be on his back.
ben_e71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 07:06 AM   #2
Gordon
Adult

If you have more than one in the pen they can and will tip each other over torts tend to go in straight lines not round things so if one is in the way of the other it will go over or under and tip over or tip one over
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Yes and depending on what size they are and if they are covered or not they can be picked up by a bird. I remember someone had a young Redfoot carried off by a crow and then dropped
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
kazzabb
Hatched

My large females often try to flip each other over. Last year one was on her back on completely flat paving, in the full hot sun. She must have been there for hours, covered in wee, poo, and froth all around her mouth and head, frightened me to death. I spent an hour in the shade, very slowly pouring tepid water over her head and shell to cool her down. She recovered thankfully. I work from home so check the torts several times a day, but I'd been out that afternoon. In the wild there are usually stones, rocks, spiny plants etc and often the ground is on a tilt, so they spin themselves around on their backs until they can get a purchase on something to turn themselves back over, but on grass and paving they haven't got much chance. One day I'll look into webcams for them, I know there are a few people on the TT site who have recently installed these and linked them up to their mobiles.
karen
Old 30-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
Mighty_Quinn
Hatchling

i like the idea of the webcam linked to mobiles, but then if i checked mine whilst at work and found him upside down i would be freaked as couldnt leave work so unless i could get hold of a parent to go in and sort him out i would be beside myself so i suppose it has its ups and downs.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:04 AM   #6
lynnedit
Hatched

I have a webcam on my inside enclosure and inside the Greenhouse.
You certainly have to be able to do something about it; I have phone numbers of neighbors and will definitely be bothering them to check if anything happens.
I would like an outdoor one too, need to save the funds!

I guess that is an advantage to having an uneven enclosure; something for them to push off of if they get flipped.
Pacific NW, US
lynnedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #7
ben_e71
Incubating

Thanks all. Yes the new one has more rocks and stuff to allow pushing off.
ben_e71 is offline   Reply With Quote