Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 28-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
ben_e71
Incubating

Default Early to bed

Sorry I probably worry too much but just wanted to check....

On Friday, Saturday and Sunday the weather was so good I put my Hermann out in the garden in a run I have for him temporarily. He seemed to love it alternating between basking and eating .... and then put him back in his table indoors overnight

On Monday and yesterday he had to stay in his table all day because we were at work. His table is in our conservatory for the room is warm and he had his light on from 6am to 6pm. On both days at 4pm he was fast asleep in his hide.

He seemd to be eating okay int he morning. But being asleep that early was unusual for him. Normally he would come out again and want some food.

Last night I decided to check on him and got him out of the hide and offered him a bath and some food. He seemed to be okay had a drink, wee'd over the dining table and eat from my hand... Put him back in the table and he went off to bed.... this morning he was up and at it again....

Is it possible he just got bored in his table after the exciting weekend?
ben_e71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
Gordon
Adult

How hot does it get in your conservitory maybe he had got to hot and that was the only place to cool
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

I agree with turnip, it could have got too hot for him in the conservatory...maybe. If I bring my torts in after they have a taste for the outside they usually refuse to settle, constantly pacing around. Alternatively, of course if your weather was cold where you are ( it has been pretty chilly overnight here down south) he might just be too cool.
Old 28-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
JoesMum
Hatchling

Joe goes to bed about 4pm anyway... that's just the way he's programmed.

I wouldn't be too concerned.
Old 29-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
Xero
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to Xero

He might just be catching up on some sleep after his time outside exploring but just check your tempratures to be safe..

Peaches > Turbo > Speedy > Dexcie

1.2.0 T.h.Horsfieldii..R.I.P Speedy :(
Xero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
houseofcutler
Hatched

I have had times when my torts were going to bed early too. Initially this seemed to happen when the temps in the room had got too high during the day and they had dug down to stay cool. I use a habistat now to ensure the basking temps remain constant (33) and this has given me great peace of mind - I really recommend this

Anyway sometimes they still go to bed early - while this is sometimes a bit annoying for me as I get home from work and am unable to watch them I dont think its much of an issue for them.

If in doubt of their activity throughout the day set a web cam up and you can spy on them - Thats what I do some days although today they seem to be avoiding the camera so they must be basking or asleep - guess that wouldnt answer your question anyway

0.0.2 THB Slow Vincent Gonzales & Rita Queen of Speed
See my tortoises
Live Feed

Testudo Weight Recorder with Jackson calculation and graphs

Last edited by houseofcutler; 29-03-2012 at 12:39 PM.
houseofcutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #7
burnt toast
Adult

I remember noticing this last year. We had a lovely March as we have this last week & come 4.30/5pm all of my torts make their way back to the shed & tuck themselves up, fast asleep. Its as if the lovely weather shatters them out & they all without fail go to bed early - nothing to worry about.

Its also worth remembering what ever the outside temperature is a conservatory is usually 10 degrees above that, so you need to keep a close eye on temperatures & move your table out if its going to be hot.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote