Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 15-09-2019, 04:14 PM   #51
DanielRyan9194
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
Brilliant - welcome to you and Barb to the forum.
Thank you guys
Old 15-09-2019, 04:17 PM   #52
DanielRyan9194
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Be careful when you put her out make sure its warm and not on damp grass as mine were very susceptible to runny nose even on the warmest of days.
Which if your not careful will turn into a respiratory infection before you know it and for this reason I decided to keep them in as it was better for their health.

I would be interested in the area you got her from as there is a very good chance she is one I have bred in the past if you have any other info on her send it via a pm if you like.
I haven’t got grass outside and she’s been out when the floor has been dry. So you’d say she’s an indoor tortoise then?
I live in the Lancashire area if that helps
So does her table need to dry? What substrate would you use?
Old 15-09-2019, 05:58 PM   #53
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRyan9194 View Post
I haven’t got grass outside and she’s been out when the floor has been dry. So you’d say she’s an indoor tortoise then?
Lol no tortoise is an indoor tortoise:0)
Its just that some take a little more husbandry care than others. Outside enclosures need to be suitable as are plants:0)
I kept a tunisian outside during the Summer months, for about a year until I found another home for her. As I keep ibera.
I also hibernated her too, but for a much shorter time than my iberas:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 07:55 PM   #54
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
I kept mine on a very gritty type of sand and did spray them once or twice a week and make sure she has a water supply.
As for an indoor tortoise some will say no such thing but sometimes in the animals best interest it is necessary or you will end up pumping it full of antibiotics which surly cant be good.
I have no knowledge of anyone keeping things like pancakes or Egyptian torts outside in the uk and a Tunisian is not much different. As for hibernating again mine never did it as that's what I was advised by a well recognised chenolian expert not to but it's good to let them cool down for a month which most non hibernating tortoises will do even my leopards Burmese browns Indian stars and pancakes will slow down for a bit no matter how warm you keep them.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 09:04 PM   #55
DanielRyan9194
Egg

Quote:
here a picture (I hope)

https://imgur.com/AVtRfNa
Quote:
I kept mine on a very gritty type of sand and did spray them once or twice a week and make sure she has a water supply.
As for an indoor tortoise some will say no such thing but sometimes in the animals best interest it is necessary or you will end up pumping it full of antibiotics which surly cant be good.
I have no knowledge of anyone keeping things like pancakes or Egyptian torts outside in the uk and a Tunisian is not much different. As for hibernating again mine never did it as that's what I was advised by a well recognised chenolian expert not to but it's good to let them cool down for a month which most non hibernating tortoises will do even my leopards Burmese browns Indian stars and pancakes will slow down for a bit no matter how warm you keep them.
Here’s what she’s on at the moment
https://imgur.com/a/A8Bg3m1
Old 15-09-2019, 09:12 PM   #56
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Here’s what she’s on at the moment
https://imgur.com/a/A8Bg3m1
I have used it in the past but it's not for tortoises to be honest.
It's to dry and if gets eaten can cause compaction and if it gets wet will produce mold spores.
Go for top soil or as I use a good gritty sand as you wont find many tortoises in the wild living on shredded wood.!
I suspect these are all the products the shop told you you would need.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 09:17 PM   #57
DanielRyan9194
Egg

Quote:
I have used it in the past but it's not for tortoises to be honest.
It's to dry and if gets eaten can cause compaction and if it gets wet will produce mold spores.
Go for top soil or as I use a good gritty sand as you wont find many tortoises in the wild living on shredded wood.!
I suspect these are all the products the shop told you you would need.
The hemp bedding came with the set up. Edible bedding I found somewhere else as I thought I could cover the hemp and if she did have a nibble it would be edible. It has dried flower heads mixed in. I feed her in a slate so she rarely snacks on the bedding stuff.
Would you think a mix of topsoil and gritty sand (as in different areas not mixed together) would be a good mixture so she has two different substrates?
Could I be cheeky and ask to see your set up?
For inspiration
Old 15-09-2019, 10:27 PM   #58
jimothy
Egg

Here are some photos of my indoor and outdoor setup for my two 1 year old iberas - they are only 5cm long though! I find that the combined heat/light lamp works quite well and the heat diffuses across the table effectively according to the thermometers.

I have just plain topsoil after experimenting with coir, mixing it with sand which made no obvious difference. It is cheap and easily disposed of! I keep moist by pouring on water a couple of times a week aand gravel - which I think is controversial as some suggest they can eat it - though they are far too small at the moment to even get it in their mouths!

https://imgur.com/gallery/1wYd33k
jimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 10:53 PM   #59
DanielRyan9194
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimothy View Post
Here are some photos of my indoor and outdoor setup for my two 1 year old iberas - they are only 5cm long though! I find that the combined heat/light lamp works quite well and the heat diffuses across the table effectively according to the thermometers.

I have just plain topsoil after experimenting with coir, mixing it with sand which made no obvious difference. It is cheap and easily disposed of! I keep moist by pouring on water a couple of times a week aand gravel - which I think is controversial as some suggest they can eat it - though they are far too small at the moment to even get it in their mouths!

https://imgur.com/gallery/1wYd33k
They look good jimothy. Thanks for sharing.
Just need to find a decent bag of topsoil that’s not too big and to put a liner of some sort in the table
Old 15-09-2019, 11:34 PM   #60
emma_mcraf
Adult

I use Wickes sterilised topsoil, Daniel. I’m sure Gordon will correct me if I’m wrong but I think a gravelly substrate is better for them to reproduce the sandy, stony environment they would live in naturally. It warms up quickly and doesn’t develop mould spores.
Pond liner is easily bought from garden stores, aquatic centres or online or cheap lino/vinyl to line the bottom of the table. I got vinyl offcuts very cheaply and they’re easily cut to size.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote