Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 07:34 PM   #11
Pussygalore
Adult

yours is only a baby I was mostly talking about adults and the space they need. although my 2 yr olds come out whatever the weather but they are warmed first by their heatlamps.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:50 PM   #12
Caroline McI
Hatchling

Hurley, I'm with you on that one. Mine get out when it's sunny and I stay with them. I take them to
the chapel grounds where they eat clover and other weeds I'm not sure of the names. They can hide in the plants and bushes etc and I get to sit in the sun.

I'm supposed to be moving south in the next few weeks and by god they are goin to have a smashing enclosure, Tortoise Towers I'm calling it. I know exactly how you feel, I've blamed myself alot recently but realised that the advice I was given when I got Cookie (five years ago) was not what it should be so I'm not entirely to blame.

Doesn't stop me from feeling very sad though when I realise that her pyramiding could have been avoided

I'm glad you put this thread up.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:41 PM   #13
EJ
Adult

Default Re: indoors = cruel

I've got tortoises that absolutely did not do well outdoors and I'm talking in southern california.

Cruel is a relative term. If the tortoises are eating, active and behaving relatively 'normal' I'd say the were 'happy' in which case is not cruel.

Cruel is when one person passes judgement on another base on their beliefs... that's cruel... which happens way too often in the tortoise keeping 'community'.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
Old 04-07-2007, 09:51 PM   #14
Templer-nt
Egg

wonderfuly said, lets keep it at that just do your best for your tort, inside when cold and out in the sun when ever possible
Old 04-07-2007, 10:03 PM   #15
EJ
Adult

Why should you feel sad about the pyramiding. In the majority of the cases it is strictly a cosmetic condition. While some might not like the way it looks it usually has nothing to do with the overall health of the animal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline McI
Hurley, I'm with you on that one. Mine get out when it's sunny and I stay with them. I take them to
the chapel grounds where they eat clover and other weeds I'm not sure of the names. They can hide in the plants and bushes etc and I get to sit in the sun.

I'm supposed to be moving south in the next few weeks and by god they are goin to have a smashing enclosure, Tortoise Towers I'm calling it. I know exactly how you feel, I've blamed myself alot recently but realised that the advice I was given when I got Cookie (five years ago) was not what it should be so I'm not entirely to blame.

Doesn't stop me from feeling very sad though when I realise that her pyramiding could have been avoided

I'm glad you put this thread up.
and
Old 04-07-2007, 10:08 PM   #16
Bride2b
Sub Adult

Dont get upset abut the remarks that the lady made, you know that you care for your torts and give them the best you can give them, we have no power over the weather .
Old 04-07-2007, 11:06 PM   #17
rachel30b
Sub Adult

I have thought the same thing about it being unfair they inside at the moment will all the rain, but too be honest with the amount of rain we have had i would worry that they would drown as my garden seems to get rather waterlogged massive big puddles mine are only small
Old 04-07-2007, 11:19 PM   #18
Caroline McI
Hatchling

Ed, I was of the understanding that pyramiding wasn't good for torts as it means they have grown too quickly.
I've been told they should be grown slowly, I'm sure MBD was mentioned somewhere and it got me worried, especially as it could have been avoided had I been given strict advice.

If it is indeed more cosmetic as you say, then I'm happy to hear that, she is still very beautiful to me. I was in fact told the same a few weeks ago by someone who works in a pet shop. He said it was more to do with how she looks rather than affect her health. I've since read that pyramiding isn't good so it gets confusing at times when people have slightly different ideas.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest, that's helpful as I'm still learning.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:26 PM   #19
EJ
Adult

That seems to be a common misunderstanding among certain circles...The rate at which a tortoise grows has nothing to do with shape. Another misunderstanding is that because a tortoise is pyramided it has MBD. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I guess the guy in the pet shop is a typical pet shop person in that they don't know what they are talking about... jus kidding there. That sounds like a pet shop worker who is in touch with the animals.

Again, pyramiding is not something we look for because it is not representative of what we might see in the wild but I think that we really don't understand the cause so it is called abnormal or unhealthy in an extreme. That assumption is more a sign of ignorance than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline McI
Ed, I was of the understanding that pyramiding wasn't good for torts as it means they have grown too quickly.
I've been told they should be grown slowly, I'm sure MBD was mentioned somewhere and it got me worried, especially as it could have been avoided had I been given strict advice.

If it is indeed more cosmetic as you say, then I'm happy to hear that, she is still very beautiful to me. I was in fact told the same a few weeks ago by someone who works in a pet shop. He said it was more to do with how she looks rather than affect her health. I've since read that pyramiding isn't good so it gets confusing at times when people have slightly different ideas.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest, that's helpful as I'm still learning.
and
Old 05-07-2007, 12:08 AM   #20
wizzasmum

Default Re: indoors = cruel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie_07
ive jsut been talking to a lady
and she basically stated that by me having my torts living indoors is cruel
because they are known to be outdoors in the wild.

fair enough i understand this , but my three are uk captive bred and so therefore havent
lived in the wild

i could understand her having a go if i didnt let them out , but they go out at every possible chance they can get ,
apart from just recently as the weather is so dreadful.

im not being cruel by having them indoors am i ?!
In response top this I would say why buy an outdoor animal if you are going to keep it indoors, It would not happen with a horse, pig, cow etc but then I suppose they are not small enough to keep in a house. The fact that they are captive bred is nothing to do with it. They have evloved to live outdoors and those kept indoors throughout their lives rarely resemble the wild tortoise which is how they were intended to look. I would never subject my torts to infoor conditions unless extreme weather dictated otherwise or they were tiny babies needing protection from the elements again. Keeping in normal house conditions is not generally a good environment for torts in my opinion.

Closed Thread