Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 09-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
Pussygalore
Adult

your larger groups can only consist of the same species and preferably the same sex as I assume you don't intend to breed! and same sex/species they would all still need the 6 months quarantine period. Even if you did intend to breed your groups must consist of one male to at least 3 females otherwise the females will be constantly pestered, I think you would find far more males then females wanting homes and then you have to bear in mind that species that require paperwork could only be given away, no money at all to change hands and it would be very costly, in some cases impossible to chip and paper torts that don't already have papers. You would also not be able to breed from animals that didn't have the right papers as adding to the unpapered torts that already exhist isn't a wise or clever thing to do. Many people that offer rehoming/rescue have to be very well checked out as they could be after simply making a quick buck by selling on the animal or breeding from them and making money that way.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #12
EJ
Adult

I don't believe some of the responses to this post...

You don't NEED to maintain same species together...

You don't NEED to quarentine for at least 6 months...

You don't NEED to maintain a specific ratio of male to female...
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #13
Merlin M
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
I don't believe some of the responses to this post...

You don't NEED to maintain same species together...

You don't NEED to quarentine for at least 6 months...

You don't NEED to maintain a specific ratio of male to female...
But it is advisable, particularly the last 2
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #14
example999
Egg

Hi,
The thread is not about the tort rescue but the greenhouse. I just would like to help out as there are so many unwanted torts I just wanted to help a couple out. I am talking about using a space of 20ft x 10ft greenhouse by no means am i looking to profit from this. I know before starting this that it will cost me more money and there will be no profit except from the pleasure in seeing the tort in a new home. By all means I can understand how people could abuse these beautiful souls but honestly I could not think of anything else worse and would not be able to live with myself if i did. I am sorry if I have offended anyone i have not meant to. I do not intend to breed and will offer the facilities for quarantine.
example999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #15
EJ
Adult

Why would this be advisable?

Why 6 months?...

Why a specific sex ratio?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin M View Post
But it is advisable, particularly the last 2
and
Old 09-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #16
Merlin M
Adult

Quote:
Why would this be advisable?

Why 6 months?...

Why a specific sex ratio?...
I don't read it as a specific ratio just a minimum really, even you have to admit you need a few females for one male!!

A minimum of 6 months to ensure any new addition is unlikely to be ill, but yes they can carry viruses that can be dormant for years or so I have said, so quarantine is advisable, as a new rescue could have an un noticed respiratory infection or worms that could spread if instantly put with others...
Old 09-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #17
example999
Egg

I agree they should be quarantined I would hate for all the torts to get ill due to one having a problem although. I think the key is to be careful when putting torts together and to be aware of the illnesses which could occur also a large amount of space always helps to stop respiratory infections spreading as quickly. Torts have individual characteristics i believe that you can't put a ratio to it a lot of supervision and careful integration is key. Although 3 to 1 is a good rule of thumb.
example999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #18
EJ
Adult

Why can't you have just a pair?

Where did '6 months' come from? The original stated quarentine was 30 days. The point is that it is an arbitrary dreamed up by some control freak.

There should be a quarentine period but the decision on when the introduced animal should be allowed into the group is going to be based on diagnostics and not time.

Quote:
I don't read it as a specific ratio just a minimum really, even you have to admit you need a few females for one male!!

A minimum of 6 months to ensure any new addition is unlikely to be ill, but yes they can carry viruses that can be dormant for years or so I have said, so quarantine is advisable, as a new rescue could have an un noticed respiratory infection or worms that could spread if instantly put with others...
and
Old 09-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #19
Merlin M
Adult

Quote:
Why can't you have just a pair?

Where did '6 months' come from? The original stated quarentine was 30 days. The point is that it is an arbitrary dreamed up by some control freak.

There should be a quarentine period but the decision on when the introduced animal should be allowed into the group is going to be based on diagnostics and not time.
Now as I understand it a pair generally results in a female getting rather harassed...

And yeah not sure why people advise 6 months but hey it can't hurt.

And seriously Ed, I wasn't saying it was law just advisable, wish you would get off your soap box and criticising every bit of advice at the moment, the advice was cautious but not bad, and I didn't exactly disagree with you, but didn't agree either.
You seem to be very you way or the highway at the moment!
Old 09-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #20
EJ
Adult

No more so than if she is in a group. If a female is giving off those pheromones a male is going after her whether she is in a group or not.

I'm responding to inacurate advice. My soapbox is no bigger than anyone elses.

I'm just providing information... and I wasn't adressing you specifically.

Quote:
Now as I understand it a pair generally results in a female getting rather harassed...

And yeah not sure why people advise 6 months but hey it can't hurt.

And seriously Ed, I wasn't saying it was law just advisable, wish you would get off your soap box and criticising every bit of advice at the moment, the advice was cautious but not bad, and I didn't exactly disagree with you, but didn't agree either.
You seem to be very you way or the highway at the moment!
and

Tags
housing, husbandry, rehoming, tortoises