Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 08-07-2006, 08:39 PM   #41
tgidarren
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptiandan64
Darren it is a form of siamese twins. Yes the tortoise did try to split and make identical twins, but only got as far as the head. Most of the time now adays when you talk siamese twins it's something which is seperatable, which something 2 headed isn't. Just a technicality though
I haven't seen anything in print, but I'm sure there must be a predisposition, with your females, for the eggs trying to make identical twins and triplets.
I have never heard of triplets until you said you had one. Was it 3 very small tortoises or 2 big and one parasitic. I've hatched a few box turtle eggs with parasitic twins attached to the yolk sack. Did you take pictures of the triplets?
No drugs involved in this Carl , just an embryo trying to split and make identical twins. It works the same way in humans.
The only non identical tortoises to hatch, like Darren(piglet) said, that I know of have been sulcatas.

Dan
Thanks Dan

One 7g, one 3g and one that didn't register on the scales. I have a photo but it's unfortunately on my other pc which is out of commission at the moment. There is a back-up on the spare hard-drive so I'll post one later next week if you like.

Thanks again for the info. If you come across anything else, perhaps you'd be so good as to drop me a line.

Best Regards
TgiDarren
tgidarren is offline   Reply With Quote