Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Pictures

Old 26-11-2015, 05:55 PM   #11
CherryBrandy
Adult

oh no never a silly or endless question ! we love it on here !! It is 3rd photo down, might be angle, right at top of his leg, but sometimes their shells rub on the skin or natural shedding. Wont need a diet re the grazing! there are lots of threads on growth that's all. My Horsfields get the same sort of lines but always have done and doing fine. CB
Old 26-11-2015, 06:07 PM   #12
Finsky
Incubating

Ok..thanks. I did try to look around very carefully, particularly those shell edge contact areas, but didn't notice anything wrong. I shall have quick check again next time I open the box and weigh him...though I bet he won't be dangling his leg then for me to see anything!
As for the 'diet'...lol..that's good to know...I would not want to put him through diet when I hate it so much for myself! I might go to same grazing diet with him...for moral support that is !
Finsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 07:38 PM   #13
Suze65
Adult

He's lovely

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 08:41 PM   #14
mattjstar1
Hatchling

Awww hes is just wicked lol x
mattjstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 09:18 PM   #15
Catwoman63
Adult

Putin is a very handsome horsfield x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:37 PM   #16
Finsky
Incubating

Yes...I'm beginning to learn that...
Old 01-12-2015, 12:52 PM   #17
Finsky
Incubating

Thanks....last night this 'handsome warrior' decided he wasn't happy where is was put into to have his winter rest...
I have now habit to have quick check of the temperature and humidity meter before I go to bed...and same again first thing in the morning....

This morning I found out he wasn't in his hibernation box!!! I had moment of panic right then! "How far can one cold little tortoise can wonder in the middle of the night?! " was my fist sensible thought.

May I add that at the moment he is in very old unheated brick building..temperature in there stays quite stable and is on the cool side even in summer..Victorian times they new how to make robust storage spaces for their crops ::
So...I was looking around...no Putin to be seen...and then decided to take 'step by step' approach for my search and think what would be the most obvious place to hide....and YES, only a 1,5 ft away, he was hiding inside old duvet cover that I had rolled up behind the door as 'draft excluder' As I entered I pushed the duvet further into building and he was snoring away inside '13 togs' ...talking about pampered pets...
Well, that was another valuable lesson learned...'do not trust they are not able to move about even when they are in cold!!!'.
I have now made his sleeping box bit more 'up market' with added 'comforts' and more secure...fastened the top so there is no crawling about!!!
What next I wonder.....

Last edited by Finsky; 01-12-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:35 PM   #18
Jan W
Sub Adult

I am so relieved! I couldn't wait to get to the good news you found him. He is such a little character already.

My 2 are snuggled in between small towels as this is their favourite place to hide when they are anywhere else. The towels are on the top of substrate (clean for hibernation). Neither of them have moved since they went to sleep (so did not get up or peek their heads out).
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:41 PM   #19
Finsky
Incubating

Putin was placed in plastic box with couple of inches of sand/soil mix with some towels above him and all that inside larger box that was line with polystyre....but for some reason this wasn't 'good enough' for him . I have now tipped this same box with soil mix on its side..and placed it in larger box , where other half of the space has paper on bottom and crunched up towels to crawl in. I placed him this morning amongst the towels and checked him later on again to see if he has settled. Comfy towels are no good and he has decided to settle on soil mix...all thoroughly dug and spread all over the box floor....BUT..he was now sleeping like dead...
I've just been and had another quiet peek and there is no difference to his position. I do suspect he just needed to feel like he has done his bed himself rather than being placed to rest.....it is all in the detail...more messier the better!
If this haven't done the trick...I shall take the old duvet he found so suitable to crawl in....shove him in and place the whole lot into huge cardboard box!
I'm looking forward to see what has happened over night..
Old 01-12-2015, 07:00 PM   #20
CherryBrandy
Adult

Horsfields for you. CB