Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 15-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
gbugzy1
Egg

Exclamation Which is the best combi Bulb Heating! Mega Ray VS T-REX

I have 2 Russian Tortoises which are around 3yrs old, they both live in a open top enclosure which is about 52'' by 23, I am torn between which bulb 2 buy. In the past I have used the Zoo Med Powersun but they always seem to blow after a few months, I heard that the Mega Ray and T-REX perform very good but not sure which 1 to purchase or the wattage could somebody please help?
gbugzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
Gordon
Adult

Hi and welcome i use tubes for UV and a spotlight bulb for heat for the very reason you say the others keep blowing and by having a spotlight bulb you can set up a thermostat to control the heat
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi there

the Arcadia D3 combined lamp is liked by many keepers on this site. It is available in 100 watt and 160 watt and if you go for this one you would need the 160w.

I have used the Arcadia and found it to be good and I have also used the megaray lamps and found them to be good as well. If you get the megaray then again I recommend the 160 watt.

An alternative is to use strip lights for uvb and general light. Of those I think the best one by miles is the arcadia T5 desert D3+ tube which I find to be excellent. A separate heat source is required and I like to use halogen lamps for this. I like the sylvania halogen lamps.

Hope this helps.
Old 16-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
Andy Robertson
Hatched

Hi there,
My Arcadia 160w just blew yesterday, only 5 months old, so not going to replace it. I have started using the t5 slimline canopy lights and found them to be far superior when it comes to uv count. As Ozric says you then only need a spot lamp for heat.
Hope this helps
Andy
Andy Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Robertson View Post
Hi there,
My Arcadia 160w just blew yesterday, only 5 months old, so not going to replace it. I have started using the t5 slimline canopy lights and found them to be far superior when it comes to uv count. As Ozric says you then only need a spot lamp for heat.
Hope this helps
Andy
This is why i don't use them
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
TillyTortoise
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Robertson View Post
Hi there,
Hope this helps
Andy
If you contact your place of purchase they will send you a replacement. They are covered by a 12 month guarantee.
Old 17-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
Catwoman63
Adult

i have used and still use the Zoo Med Combi bulbs and have no trouble with them at all, i also use UVB tubes and heat bulb with thermostat as this is better for controlling the temperature x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I also use the Arcadia 160w bulbs. I have two which have been running every day (apart from 10 days) for around 32 months and 28 months respectively. They were still producing good levels of UVB at the last test four months ago - see here http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...0&postcount=96

Bulbs will blow for various reasons, moisture getting on the bulb from a spray or the bulb not getting a good connection with the contact in the holder, lack of a surge protector and just a duff bulb. The good thing about the Arcadia is that you get a 12 month no quibble guarantee. Megaray used to be 6 months. I have had duff Megarays in the past as well as duff Solarglo
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
houseofcutler
Hatched

I also use an Arcadia D3 combined lamp and have the 160W version. It didn't kick out as much heat as I expected. But this was because previously I had just used a heat lamp and these are not designed just to kick out heat. (I was new to everything back then)

My setup now uses the Arcadia D3 and a halogen flashbulb with a habitat thermostat to manage the temperature for me.

The D3 bulb was fine for month until I hit it against something during a move - but I was able to replace it and it has been fine ever since.

My torts are happy and healthy so I would recommend them

0.0.2 THB Slow Vincent Gonzales & Rita Queen of Speed
See my tortoises
Live Feed

Testudo Weight Recorder with Jackson calculation and graphs

houseofcutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #10
yuna1971
Adult

Not sure that a 160w Mega Ray would provide like for like the same heat as a 160w Arcadia.
The 160w Arcadias are IMO less intense in their heat - during winter you might even need additional heat. I think the MR 120w is more like the Arcadia 160w.
If you get a 160w MR my only worry would be that it could be too intense, especially now we are getting the milder temps outside - even if its on a stand there's only so far a stand will raise in height to lessen this heat.
Easier to add heat (if its needed) by getting the lesser intense Arcadia IMHO. I have had a 120w MR and I still have it as my spare. I also have an Arcadia that I'm using now and their warranty and service I have to say is superb.
I can't comment on the solar Glo bulbs but I trust what Al's test showed in that - they are not that great.
If you do get a combined, think about investing in a solar meter (if you got some money rattling around) This is the only test kit that will give you the true UVB output of your bulb - new or after a period of use.
Good luck xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating, lighting, russian tortoise