Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Introduce Yourself

Old 18-01-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
claireandchris
Egg

Default Worrying about nothing?

Hi guys, we are new tortoise owners and worrying already!
The tortoises arrived on Wednesday night, they are 2 and 6 month old horse field tortoises. They had a good wander around their new table on Wednesday night but have since been a bit sleepy. I'm not really sure what is normal for babies to be fair anyway! They have a 100w basking lamp at one end and its been suggested that we get another lamp just to give them light which we are doing this weekend. We think they have only eaten minimal amounts but again not sure what is normal? They seem to bury themselves a lot and sleep. They've had daily baths and seem to have a little wander about but that's all. I'm concerned that maybe they aren't warm enough. Our house can get chilly at night especially given current weather but heating is on to keep house at reasonable temp all night. I'm not sure whether they perhaps need a heat mat or not?!
Any advice gratefully received
Thanks
Claire x
claireandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Welcome to the forum Claire

We're going to need to know some temperatures to figure things out. What are the temperatures under the basking light, warm end, cool end and over night? Also how long are your lights on for?

Danny
Old 19-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
amethystbelle
Incubating

I got my first tortoise on wednesday too, shes a Horsfield Do you have a UV lamp? Or just the heat?
amethystbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
claireandchris
Egg

Ok, so today we got an extra light for Tilly and Tiny which does seem to have helped a little.
Also checked temps and under the UV/heat basking lamp its about 38 degrees and at the cooler end its 18 degrees. Over night our heating maintains a temp of 18 degrees in the room so possibly slightly less in the table especially at the min.
Also how much should they be eating, they've defo had something but it just doesnt seem like much.
Does anyone know roughly how much babies sleep for during the day?
Thanks
Claire x
Old 19-01-2013, 11:53 PM   #5
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

The 18C is a bit low for the cool end and 18C or cooler over-night is to cool also. If you can get the cool end to 20 to 24C during the day and over-night to 20C that would help them to want to be more active. The lights should be on 12 to 14 hours a day.
To get the temperatures warmer at night you can use a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) which is basicly a ceramic light bulb. It screws into a regular lamp holder with a reflector and only throws heat (no light) so perfect for night time.

Danny
Old 20-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
claireandchris
Egg

Thank you for your help Danny!
Just wondering what thoughts are heat mats to maintain temps in our table. I'm not sure how we would manage another bulb on the table. They still aren't waking of their own accord and we aren't sure that they are eating very much. I'm aware as they get bigger they'd hibernate this time of year so wonder if this us something to do with it.
Thanks
Claire x
Old 21-01-2013, 06:06 AM   #7
lynnedit
Hatched

If you can't manage another bulb, can you cover the 'cool' end up close to the second light with Perspex, or wire with cling wrap, foil, or plastic sheeting over it? That might get the temps up.
I don't think many are too fond of under heating, like heat mats. There is some concern that the tort may over heat from the bottom, while it is more natural for them bask and receive warmth from above.
That said, if you can't get the heat up any other way, a heat mat on part of the cool side, under the enclosure, might be OK if you track temps over it.
Extend the duration of the lighting up to 14 hours or so.

Hatchlings do hide a bit more, and it may also be that they are getting settled in.
Pacific NW, US
lynnedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

You can use a heat mat but will either have to have it on the outside of the enclosure or inside with a thin piece of perspex and substrate over it. You will also need a thermostat with the heat mat to control the temperature.

Danny
Old 22-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #9
claireandchris
Egg

Thanks for your help!
We have two happier tortoises today, much more active. It may just be that we've been at home to see them lol! We moved the lamp more central to the table and it seems to have helped. We've also put them in our lounge which is a warmer room.
The smaller one, Tiny has been very active in the bath although we not sure how much she has eaten really but we are going to keep an eye on this.
It's like being a new mum all over again lol.
Claire xx