Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 21-04-2012, 01:38 AM   #11
Easter Bunny
Adult

Why don't you try a normal desk lamp with a 100 watt bulb in to direct in the direction of the basking lamp aswell? It will bring the temps up a bit more.
and just get an infrared bulb for night. It might make all the difference and won't cost alot to buy or run xx
Old 21-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #12
amph55
Egg

I ve got a cold 1930 's house which does nt warm up with the sun so I know what you mean. However have you considered a small conservatory or if you cant afford that for youselves to benefit from as well as torts how about a greenhouse.
I have both and find they are both good at different times. However you have to have some shade and ability to cool them down by opening windows. I have an escape hatch at the back of said greenhouse where we took a lower window out and built a fence round for ours to go out when too warm. Sometimes he just stays in and thinks he s outdoors with all the extra light. Also insulated the back lower section with wood for night time use and rigged up a basking lamp recently too. Summer house / conservatory is good to bring tortoise in if we want to give hime special attention ie bath etc.
I would only consider this option if you can use it for yourselves too eg to grow plants from seed in. amph
amph55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #13
siobhanc37
Egg

Okay, at the moment I've got a Exo Terra Repti-Glo 10.0 14W tube light, and for their basking lamp I've got Sun Glo 75W in a Glo Light reflector clamp holder, Whats better for covering both UVA and UVB?
siobhanc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
JoesMum
Hatchling

We have an "Eco" electric radiator, with both a thermostat and timer, in our conservatory to boost the temperature in there. It's not breaking the bank with the electric bills. Ours came from Argos like these We have the 3kW one.
Old 21-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #15
siobhanc37
Egg

My house is so cold because There was no insulation in the roof or the external walls when we moved in, the landlord has insulated the loft since we moved in but the walls are still cold.
We only rent the house, so an extension is out of the question and theres no where in the garden for a greenhouse, I have a large concrete shed with a big iron door in the garden, but it's really dark and cold in there x
Old 21-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #16
Easter Bunny
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhanc37 View Post
My house is so cold because There was no insulation in the roof or the external walls when we moved in, the landlord has insulated the loft since we moved in but the walls are still cold.
We only rent the house, so an extension is out of the question and theres no where in the garden for a greenhouse, I have a large concrete shed with a big iron door in the garden, but it's really dark and cold in there x
You need to just try to warm up the table then using light and heat lamps.
It can be done
Old 21-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #17
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi Siobhan

a lot of people are using this one:

http://www.surreypetsupplies.co.uk/a...lamp-160w.html

This is 160 watts and has a good reputation. Probably you wouold need a new holder and possibly shade for it. In my opinion you would also need additional heat from halogen lighting such as this :

https://www.bltdirect.com/product.php?pid=7544&cat=704

Those are quite cheap and do not require a ceramic holder although it is better if you do have one. A shade can be useful for those as well but not essential.

As your house is cold the heat for the tortoise will have to be provided locally and from above. My suggestion would be a minimum of one 160 watt combined heat and UV such as the arcadia and a minimum of one 100watt halogen which is mainly heat but they love the light quality and will be drawn to it.

In a cold house and with a sickly tortoise you probably do need nightime heating as well and either a ceramic heat emitter or a heat lamp can work for this.

If you don't fancy the 160 watt arcadia there is also the 160 watt MegaRay which is similar as a combined heat and UVB lamp. It is possible to buy these lamps at 100watts as well but in your house I say you really need the 160 watt which costs hardly any more to buy but uses a bit more electricity. Running a few hundred watts all day does not cost a vast amount of money.

Hope you don't feel I am giving you a lecture! just feel your tort won't be able to get better without plenty of warmth.
Old 21-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #18
siobhanc37
Egg

Okay thats fantastic thanks
is there a reason I can't use the ceramic reflector clamp lamp holder i already have? What should i be using for the Arcadia bulb?
Or could I use the ceramic reflector holder i already have for the Halogen bulb?

I really appreciate the help! I thought I had lighting and heating down then i first got them but it's all gone terribly wrong!
Old 21-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #19
siobhanc37
Egg

Ignore my comment about the lamp holder I already have, it wouldn't support 160 watts anyway I think I'm going to buy the same one in Large for the Arcadia bulb, Still unsure what fitting to use for the halogen bulb though xx
Old 21-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #20
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhanc37 View Post
Thank you all for your help, I'm gonna start off with an oil filled radiator in my back room with them to see if i can warm the room up a bit, if that doesn't get him better I'll have to change my lamps! Thanks xx
doing this wont give you a basking temp of 34c ??????, try b&q for a heat bulb for now until you can sort it , good luck

Last edited by NATURALIS; 21-04-2012 at 05:38 PM.
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating, lighting