Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 19-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
keithbrawn
Egg

Default Unhappy Hermanns

Hi,
I'm a newbie and looking for help. We got a couple of 10 month old Hermanns 5 days ago. They had been reared in a vivarium at a constant temperature of 80F (27C). I have set a tortoise table up so that it is 30C ish under the basking lamp and about 22C at the other end so they can choose where they feel comfortable. I have the basking lamp on for about 12 hours a day. They won't come out from under the straw I've put at the cool end and I can only get them to eat by taking them out from under the straw and putting leaves in front of them. For the first 24 hours one of them went into the covered area which is furthest from the light and stayed there. I eventually took it out of there and blocked off that area because the tortoise shell was cold to the touch.
They are generally lethargic and don't seem happy at all. I guess that the change of environment was traumatic for them but shouldn't they have settled down a bit by now ? What am I doing wrong?
Hope someone can help.
keithbrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Try 25c for the cool end and 34c under the basking lamp. How cool are you getting at night?

Danny
Old 20-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
kazzabb
Hatched

Hello Keith, I don't know if it's any help, but I got a little one - about a year old, from a guy who'd kept her in a viv, on pellets, at a constant temp pretty much the same as yours was. It took her 3 weeks to come out of her shell. She hissed every time I picked her up, didn't eat or drink, just hid. Then one day, she was present. I kept her on a soil substrate though, I'm not sure straw is great. As long as your torts don't dry out, and they could probably do without the stress, but might need a bathe to rehydrate. Just a shallow warm one. Torts can go for long periods without eating, but obviously hydration is crucial. Five days in a torts life is the blink of an eye - everything happens slowly with them. Good luck with your little ones.
Karen
Old 20-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzabb View Post
Hello Keith, I don't know if it's any help, but I got a little one - about a year old, from a guy who'd kept her in a viv, on pellets, at a constant temp pretty much the same as yours was. It took her 3 weeks to come out of her shell. She hissed every time I picked her up, didn't eat or drink, just hid. Then one day, she was present. I kept her on a soil substrate though, I'm not sure straw is great. As long as your torts don't dry out, and they could probably do without the stress, but might need a bathe to rehydrate. Just a shallow warm one. Torts can go for long periods without eating, but obviously hydration is crucial. Five days in a torts life is the blink of an eye - everything happens slowly with them. Good luck with your little ones.
Karen
I couldn't have said it better, give them time, they don't like change. It's all new, as Karen said hydration is really important , so plenty of warm baths, and keep the warm end temp up at 32-34 , I would ditch the straw, if you have a top soil substrate and a Hyde they wild dig down in the soil, the soil needs to be kept moist , not wet, they will come out and eat when they are ready, it could take a week or two. Would love to see some pics.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
achilles
Egg

Default Hello and welcome!

Hi Keith,

Welcome to Shelled Warriors. Hope your Hermans are doing well?

A
achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
Lagganman
Egg

Hi Keith we've had the exact same problem bought our Horsfield from pet shop that had him in a viv and all he did was hide and not eat but with help from members on here he has settled slot better now that it's been 3 weeks in his tortoise table. He still hides alot but we give him bath and he tucks in too his food before having a wander about , bask and then back to bed . Was very worried at first but now we seem alot more sure about the situation . Good luck and time is all that's needed.
Lagganman is offline   Reply With Quote