Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 14-09-2019, 03:26 PM   #41
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

What depth is the current table, and what depth can you build the new one?
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 03:41 PM   #42
DanielRyan9194
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareandCo View Post
What depth is the current table, and what depth can you build the new one?
215mm high. And I suppose any height as long as the dogs can’t get in too. They’d hog the light
Old 14-09-2019, 04:26 PM   #43
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRyan9194 View Post
215mm high. And I suppose any height as long as the dogs can’t get in too. They’d hog the light
About 8", but with substrate she could be able to climb out.

I think I'd be more concerned about the dogs actually being able to get to her. There are some horrific stories of what can/does happen. What sort of dogs are they?

She needs a large deep table - a bookcase on its back or even a wardrobe. Obviously making sure the base is reinforced and lined with thick polythene or pond linder. The lights needs to be securely fitted so that she cannot reach them or there is any risk that they might fall.
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 06:21 PM   #44
emma_mcraf
Adult

A lip around a table is a great way to prevent escapees, Daniel.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 08:50 PM   #45
DanielRyan9194
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareandCo View Post
About 8", but with substrate she could be able to climb out.

I think I'd be more concerned about the dogs actually being able to get to her. There are some horrific stories of what can/does happen. What sort of dogs are they?

She needs a large deep table - a bookcase on its back or even a wardrobe. Obviously making sure the base is reinforced and lined with thick polythene or pond linder. The lights needs to be securely fitted so that she cannot reach them or there is any risk that they might fall.
So maybe about 12” with a good lip would be good, maybe even a good secure lid too.
They are two staffs. I know I have seen horrible stories! So sad when owners trust the pets to get along and when backs are turned it goes horribly wrong. The dogs would never be left alone with her (they sleep apart from each other as it is, just in case) dogs live with and have seen (from a distance and only when the dominate owner is there) 2 bearded dragons, 1 snake, fish including an outdoor pond of koi (netted over). I know the dogs but still would never trust them, just in case.
I think I’m king to look into building my own table. That way I can get it into the space perfectly. And it would definitely be raised of the floor. I’d love to look at her table and say that’s perfect for her (for now) and I made it myself.
Old 14-09-2019, 08:50 PM   #46
DanielRyan9194
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
A lip around a table is a great way to prevent escapees, Daniel.
Sometimes I think they are more impressive then octopuses!
Old 14-09-2019, 10:17 PM   #47
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Sometimes I think they are more impressive then octopuses!
Most definitely, but watch out as you might catch the bug so many of us have had - moretortitis. It’s quite addictive!

My husband has made all our indoor and outdoor enclosures. It’s definitely satisfying to be able to do it exactly to your dimensions to take full advantage of the space available. Well, I say that...but I just say what I want and how and where I want it and he does all the donkey work!

I have a lid on my outside enclosures as there are so many predators - birds of prey, seagulls, naughty magpies and more besides. Also, having dogs and a lot of neighbourhood cats, I think it’s nice for them to be quite safe and not interfered with by curious animals with sharp claws.

I’m not sure how well Tunisians get on outside as I’m aware they’re more sensitive to temperature changes, but I’m sure Gordon is your man for that advice and I think I read she’s been outdoors a lot already from your initial posts.

Of course, now you’re well under way with your preparations, does this new member of your animal family have a name? We love details like that.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 15-09-2019, 12:42 AM   #48
DanielRyan9194
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
Most definitely, but watch out as you might catch the bug so many of us have had - moretortitis. It’s quite addictive!

My husband has made all our indoor and outdoor enclosures. It’s definitely satisfying to be able to do it exactly to your dimensions to take full advantage of the space available. Well, I say that...but I just say what I want and how and where I want it and he does all the donkey work!

I have a lid on my outside enclosures as there are so many predators - birds of prey, seagulls, naughty magpies and more besides. Also, having dogs and a lot of neighbourhood cats, I think it’s nice for them to be quite safe and not interfered with by curious animals with sharp claws.

I’m not sure how well Tunisians get on outside as I’m aware they’re more sensitive to temperature changes, but I’m sure Gordon is your man for that advice and I think I read she’s been outdoors a lot already from your initial posts.

Of course, now you’re well under way with your preparations, does this new member of your animal family have a name? We love details like that.
I wish I have started getting tortoises AGES ago!
Also someone of my own to do the donkey work, suppose I’ll have to do it myself haha
She’s been outside as and when it’s been sunny and the In-Laws have been home.
I’ll keep pestering Gordon for advice
Her name is Barbara Shellback. Or Barb for short.
My fiancé named her and it stuck
Old 15-09-2019, 11:03 AM   #49
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
I wish I have started getting tortoises AGES ago!
Also someone of my own to do the donkey work, suppose I’ll have to do it myself haha
She’s been outside as and when it’s been sunny and the In-Laws have been home.
I’ll keep pestering Gordon for advice
Her name is Barbara Shellback. Or Barb for short.
My fiancé named her and it stuck
Brilliant - welcome to you and Barb to the forum.

Old 15-09-2019, 01:52 PM   #50
Gordon
Adult

Be careful when you put her out make sure its warm and not on damp grass as mine were very susceptible to runny nose even on the warmest of days.
Which if your not careful will turn into a respiratory infection before you know it and for this reason I decided to keep them in as it was better for their health.

I would be interested in the area you got her from as there is a very good chance she is one I have bred in the past if you have any other info on her send it via a pm if you like.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote