Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 22-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #11
Merlin M
Adult

I have ordered her a nappy now and some nappy liners (decided to get liners rather than use sanitary towels as found some pretty cheap that are flushable so though I would give them a go... they are designed for babies but hopefully will do the job...)
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #12
Merlin M
Adult

I am so scared of losing her
Old 22-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #13
alley cat
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin M View Post
I am so scared of losing her
Jack has just had a big fit about 30 mins ago, he was in the back house, I heard a bump and checked him, he was in full siezure. As he came around I went out to check him again and he barged into the house (something he never does as he is not allowed in) bolted down the cat food as I tried to stop him, I then let him as I realised he might bite as he didnt know what he was doing. While I cleaned up the wee I put him in the garden, went to let him in and could see he was in next door, I dont know how he got in there as the gates were shut, he must have jumped the wall, something he has never done his whole life, he is 7! I went to get him but it was like he was deaf couldnt get him to come back so went to get my daughter for help as he was on the road and all, eventually got him in but it was frightening
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #14
Merlin M
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley cat View Post
Jack has just had a big fit about 30 mins ago, he was in the back house, I heard a bump and checked him, he was in full siezure. As he came around I went out to check him again and he barged into the house (something he never does as he is not allowed in) bolted down the cat food as I tried to stop him, I then let him as I realised he might bite as he didnt know what he was doing. While I cleaned up the wee I put him in the garden, went to let him in and could see he was in next door, I dont know how he got in there as the gates were shut, he must have jumped the wall, something he has never done his whole life, he is 7! I went to get him but it was like he was deaf couldnt get him to come back so went to get my daughter for help as he was on the road and all, eventually got him in but it was frightening
my god that sounds terrifying!!!

Buzz had an episode a little like tat Christmas day, she got way over excited and just as we got to the bottom of the stairs she started barking uncontrollably, and not any of her usual barks if you know what I mean. she kept walking, while peeing, then one we got out side just bolted! still barking the whole time, thankfully she was on the lead at the time!! once she was out of it she was just fine though
Old 24-04-2013, 11:53 PM   #15
Shelled Lady
Juvenile

Quote:
vet did say that the surgery was looking at a new anti seizure drug... will maybe hear about that when we go back in 3 weeks...
Is your dog definately epileptic? Has blood work been done on insulin and glucose levels?
Shelled Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 06:10 AM   #16
Merlin M
Adult

the vet is pretty confident that she is not epileptic (as she is quite old) but that the seizures are being triggered by something in the brain, a lesion or tumour, the vet suspects lesion, but we cant find out for sure as I have no insurance for her and a brain scan is very expensive!
Old 25-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #17
Levi
Hatched

Quote:
the vet is pretty confident that she is not epileptic (as she is quite old) but that the seizures are being triggered by something in the brain, a lesion or tumour, the vet suspects lesion, but we cant find out for sure as I have no insurance for her and a brain scan is very expensive!
We recently had the same diagnosis for our 13 year old boy Topper (or Tippy). He had 3 fits in four days the first two were relatively minor but the third was massive and went on for ages, at one stage we thought we had lost him. He also wees during the fits, he had the last one in his sleep the other two he knew were coming but he didn't get much of a warning.
He has been fine and fit free for over 3 weeks now and we have stopped watching him like a hawk and my OH has stopped crying, he did completely soak his sofa the first night after seeing the vets, but we are pretty certain that was caused by the steroid injection they gave him. They said he could have another fit in 5 minutes or go weeks without any. Luckily no change in his personality, he was just a little wobbly for a few minutes and a little quieter for a few days after.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #18
Pussygalore
Adult

we lost our old jr Max to seizures, he was in his late teens when they started and the vet seemed to think it was his brain being starved of oxygen. He would literally just collaspe, sometimes he would make the most horrible howl and sometimes would wet himself. We would shake/talk to him gently which at the start would bring him round but at the end he would actually stop breathing and it was because of that he was put to sleep. The fits became more frequent and it became harder to bring him out of them, he was fine in between though but when he was put to sleep he went so quickly that the vet said any of the fits could have been his last. It was distressing and there wasn't anything that could be done mostly because of his age and there didn't seem to be anything that triggered them.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #19
Merlin M
Adult

I have noticed she is getting spasms in her legs, could this be a side affect to the drugs?
Old 26-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #20
Merlin M
Adult

that's good, never noticed it before so hoped it was just the drugs...