Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 20-03-2009, 09:17 PM   #1
Mrs Frog
Adult

Default Weeds and Asthma

My Son who is nearly 11 is being investigated for Asthma,as he has a cough on and off

One of the triggers of Asthma is weeds,I have been reading up on it,and of course animal fur and dustmites,but it all started when I started growing more and more weeds indoors.I feel awful,what do you think?Have I caused this??
Mrs Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #2
wilsonathome
Hatchling

oohh i've never heard of asthma being triggered by weeds, i would have thought flowers or pollen but not actually weeds there is a weed listed here called the asthma weed, maybe worth googling it and see what you come up with
wilsonathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
ME SHELL
Adult

Send a message via AIM to ME SHELL

my son had a bad reaction with nettles once, but he has been ok with other weeds. Nettles also make my hayfever flair up
ME SHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #4
Mrs Frog
Adult

I feel awful,he doesnt get breathless,he just has this tickly cough,or he clears his throat,and all since I have been growing trays and trays of weeds everywhere
Mrs Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #5
linda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Stone View Post
My Son who is nearly 11 is being investigated for Asthma,as he has a cough on and off

One of the triggers of Asthma is weeds,I have been reading up on it,and of course animal fur and dustmites,but it all started when I started growing more and more weeds indoors.I feel awful,what do you think?Have I caused this??
it is the pollen that causes the allergic reaction
i doubt your indoor weeds would have pollen yet
but i may be wrong

The types of pollen that most commonly cause allergic reactions are produced by the plain-looking plants (trees, grasses, and weeds) that do not have showy show·y
adj. show·i·er, show·i·est
1. Making an imposing or aesthetically pleasing display; striking: showy flowers.

2. flowers. These plants manufacture small, light, dry pollen granules Granules
Small packets of reactive chemicals stored within cells.

Mentioned in: Allergic Rhinitis, Allergies that are custom-made for wind transport. Samples of ragweed pollen have been collected 400 miles out at sea and 2 miles high in the air. Because airborne pollen is carried for long distances, it does little good to rid an area of an offending plant--the pollen can drift in from many miles away. In addition, most allergenic pollen comes from plants that produce it in huge quantities. A single ragweed plant can generate a million grains of pollen a day.
Among North American North American

named after North America.

North American blastomycosis
see North American blastomycosis.

North American cattle tick
see boophilusannulatus.
..... Click the link for more information. plants, weeds are the most prolific producers of allergenic pollen. Ragweed is the major culprit, but others of importance are sagebrush sagebrush, name for several species of Artemisia, deciduous shrubs of the family Asteraceae (aster family), particularly abundant in arid regions of W North America. The common sagebrush (A. , redroot redroot

see amaranthus, lachnanthes tinctoria. pigweed pigweed, name for several weedy plants, particularly the common pigweed or lamb's-quarters of the family Chenopodiaceae (goosefoot family), the rough pigweed, or green amaranth, of the related family Amaranthaceae (amaranth , lamb's quarters. Russian thistle Russian thistle: see goosefoot; tumbleweed.
..... Click the link for more information. (tumbleweed), and English plantain plantain (plăn`tĭn), any plant of the genus Plantago, chiefly annual or perennial weeds of wide distribution. Many species are lawn pests and the pollen is often a hay fever irritant. P. . Grasses and trees, too, are important sources of allergenic pollens. Although more than 1,000 species of grass grow in North America, only a few produce highly allergenic pollen. These include timothy, Johnson, Bermuda, redtop redtop: see bent grass. , orchard, sweet vernal vernal /ver·nal/ (ver´n'l) pertaining to or occurring in the spring. , and Kentucky bluegrass bluegrass, any species of the large and widely distributed genus Poa, chiefly range and pasture grasses of economic importance in temperate and cool regions. In general, bluegrasses are perennial with fine-leaved foliage that is bluish green in some species.
..... Click the link for more information.. Trees that produce allergenic pollen include oak, ash, elm. hickory, pecan, box eider Eider, river, Germany
Eider (ī`dər), river, 117 mi (188 km) long, rising S of Kiel, N Germany, and flowing N to the Kiel Canal before turning west and meandering to the North Sea at Tönning.
..... Click the link for more information., and mountain cedar.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Something+in+the+air%3a+airborne+allergens.+(Pamph let)-a015097319
linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #6
ME SHELL
Adult

Send a message via AIM to ME SHELL

Its not your fault Jackie you weren't to know, and you can't be sure it definately is the weeds. Try putting them outside for a couple of days and see how your son feels after. Don't be hard on yourself, why don't you ask the doctor to do an allergy test.
ME SHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 09:37 PM   #7
Lolly8
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Stone View Post
I feel awful,he doesnt get breathless,he just has this tickly cough,or he clears his throat,and all since I have been growing trays and trays of weeds everywhere
Jackie,you can put all your weeds outside from indoors as it's pretty warm now.Maybe you can see some difference on your son coughing.If no difference then there must be something else.Just to add,my mum had to gave up on all her plants in the house when doctors discovered she has a asthma.She's got and still gets strong cough near to any house plant.Maybe soil...?
Old 20-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #8
linda
Adult

dont be so hard on your self jackie

There are many causes of asthma including
allergy, infections, industrial chemical exposures, complications from drugs and chemicals, exercise, vasculitis (inflammatory diseases of the blood vessels), and what are called idiopathic causes (unknown).

allergy test should reveal the cause
Old 20-03-2009, 09:46 PM   #9
joanna
Adult

Hi Jackie please don't feel awful, you are a concerned loving mum but whatever your sons condition its not the world. The more you learn the more you can help.

I'm nearly 28, I know still young I was in hospital at 3 years old with asthma and I admit I have alot of allergic reactions that have developed since then which is not uncommon.

But I know what my triggers are, lead a happy life and have my own business that supports me, and most important support from others!
joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 09:54 PM   #10
linda
Adult

jackie have you come across this site

http://www.asthma.org.uk/all_about_a...az/pollen.html