Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 07-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #21
Catwoman63
Adult

No It was a comment made about dogs, birds, cats etc,

but the one that we shouldn't keep torts if you can't let them do whatever they want and not be fearful, I do understand why you said it but, it's not a case of not liking it, it's just it might make some owners think they are not looking after their torts properly when in fact they are doing a good job of it there are lots of things on this site I may not agree with but don't respond, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but should never say "you shouldnt be keep torts if you don't have them out 24/7 to do whatever they want, we don't let our other animals do whatever they want, if we did then yes we shouldn't be keeping them in the first place

I have taken some good advice from most of you on here, as you are more experienced in keeping torts as are a few others, but I have been keeping other reptiles, dogs, birds etc for 25+ years I don't think I'm perfect by no means, but my animals are healthy and happy enough...anyway I don't want to go on about it lol x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #22
becciwales
Adult

No one is perfect. As long as our pets are happy and healthy what more can we ask for?
It wasn't really my place to say anything so if I've caused offence I'm sorry for that, but I don't like to see people being judged or told it's wrong when they are doing their best. Especially when they've come on for advice to try to improve things
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #23
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by becciwales View Post
No one is perfect. As long as our pets are happy and healthy what more can we ask for?
It wasn't really my place to say anything so if I've caused offence I'm sorry for that, but I don't like to see people being judged or told it's wrong when they are doing their best. Especially when they've come on for advice to try to improve things

You have not cause offence:0)
Healthy debates between adults is good:0)
With any messages put on any sites, its how its read. If your a negative person thats you will take offence. If your positive person then you take it as advice given :0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #24
Catwoman63
Adult

It's not being negative its a healthy debate.

saying "put them out" is not advice it's a command.
Saying "you shouldn't be keeping torts" is not advice it's being judgemental

I bring my boys in every night and then they go out in the morning, im thinking of my boys not myself. there is nothing wrong with doing that, the OP should do what she feels is right for the circumstances, it won't hurt the tortoise x

0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Old 08-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #25
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman63 View Post
It's not being negative its a healthy debate.

I bring my boys in every night and then they go out in the morning, im thinking of my boys not myself. there is nothing wrong with doing that, the OP should do what she feels is right for the circumstances, it won't hurt the tortoise x

Only if you read it that way:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #26
alley cat
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman63 View Post
I agree Bev

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Only if you read it that way:0)
If you had put the word...'maybe'...in front of those comments then it would have changed it from being an instruction to a suggestion
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #27
Pussygalore
Adult

people know the answer to whether its ok to keep any animal inside the house or by itself all the time before asking so if you don't like the answer then don't ask the question. To me they are just trying to ease their consience, would we treat our children that way? mind you having said that many children don't get taken out when possible or are allowed outside to play. I'm sorry but you have to have access to outside space to keep any animal thats needs that as part of its care even if its only for a few hours, similary if you must have a dog when you work full time then you have to be prepared to come home a couple of times a day or have someone else come in to see to your pet. But if you really want to be a good owner then you put the animal first and wait untill you have more time or space before having one and ask yourself is it really fair on the animal, exhisting isn't the same as having a good happy life.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #28
Merlin M
Adult

Its not really so black and white as that though is it? If left will plenty of stimuli a dog can be just fine left for the day. If given the right conditions a tortoise can be just fine inside all day getting out only now and again...
And sometimes things change, you might get an animal having been able to spend lots of time with it but then something changes and you have less time, like you the animal will adapt. Not all animals can just be rehomed if you don't have as much time
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #29
Pussygalore
Adult

can you go 8 hours or more without going to the toilet, even 4 hours is a push for some, it is for me, would you want to be shut in a room for that length of time?, thats what i mean about the psycological (prob spelt wrong) side of keeping animals. We had to leave our young dog of 7 months while we went shopping on saturday due to the heat and were gone about 2-3 hours, during that time he sat the other side of the front door waiting for us. I know because the other people who live in the main house heard him occassionally crying, I know it was for the best but it didn't make me feel any better and I certainly wouldn't want to have left him any longer, that was quick for us and we tried to hurry around the shop. I have left him for 1/2 hour or so if I have to go to the local shop and he always waits at the door for me, some shops he can't come in and I don't want to tie him up as he's so tiny. I only have him because i don't work anymore and if I did get a job it would be a p/time cleaning one probably when hubby was at home. Maybe if you have two dogs so they have company they'd be ok but one on its own must be lonely after all they are pack not solitary animals. My son has a dog and does work but has his own bussiness and goes home mid morn, mid day, mid afternoon for 1/2 hour or so to let Sammy out and to play with him if Sam hasn't gone to work with him, he as is mine is part of the family and as such wouldn't be left alone anymore than I'd have left my children when they were younger. If Milo can't come where we're going for the day then we go somewhere else.

Last edited by Pussygalore; 08-07-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #30
Catwoman63
Adult

We are all animal lovers otherwise we wouldnt want to keep them.

The OP didnt say she wasnt letting her tortoise outside, the question was "how can i get my nightime temps down" then she was told "put them out" meaning all night regardless of the circumstances, and also "if you worry about foxes, birds etc then you shouldnt be keeping tortoises". Then it went into judging people who keep dogs,cat, birds etc, it did touch a nerve with me as i keep a dog and birds, and it was said that these people (me being one of them) dont give much thought to their animals mental stimulus, you dont know the circumstances and have no right to judge before you know the circumstances. How dare you say i am trying to ease my conscience, you know nothing about my life, you should get a life instead of judging others.

0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)