Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 28-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
Hanako
Hatchling

Default How to transport tortoise/tortoises?

My husband bought me for our anniversary a trip to Hamm. I am just wondering, if by any chance I like there some tortoise and buy it, how can I transport it back? I am wondering about the practical side of things. If I bought a tortoise, the tortoise would probably come in a box but the box may not be quite suitable for the long journey back. What do I need?

I don't really plan to buy a tortoise, but if by any chance I saw something that I MUST have... should I bring with me some food, just in case? A plastic bowl so that I can give him/her/it/them bath? What else? Some boxes? What sort of boxes? What else would be useful to bring with me, just in case?

If I buy the tortoise, he/she/it would be the whole day in a box (during the show). In the evening we get to the hotel, what should I do with it? Surely not leave it in the little box? And then the following way the journey home....

Help, please....
Hanako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #2
FLINTUS
Juvenile

A decent size poly box works well. Maybe with a heat mat attached to the side just in case of really cold weather. Presuming the hotel openly allows torts, if you are travelling by car and have space you could bring a temp set up-a rabbit cage with a heat lamp maybe to warm her up? You wouldn't really need to use UV as it would only be a couple of days.
1.2 Serrated/Forest Hingebacks
Fish
Snails-Achatina Fulica 'Jadatzi', Limicolaria Flammea, Limicolaria Numidica, Archachatina marginata suturalis,
Achatina Tincta

Jadatzi GALS for sale:
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...799#post610799
FLINTUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanako View Post
My husband bought me for our anniversary a trip to Hamm. I am just wondering, if by any chance I like there some tortoise and buy it, how can I transport it back? I am wondering about the practical side of things. If I bought a tortoise, the tortoise would probably come in a box but the box may not be quite suitable for the long journey back. What do I need?

I don't really plan to buy a tortoise, but if by any chance I saw something that I MUST have... should I bring with me some food, just in case? A plastic bowl so that I can give him/her/it/them bath? What else? Some boxes? What sort of boxes? What else would be useful to bring with me, just in case?

If I buy the tortoise, he/she/it would be the whole day in a box (during the show). In the evening we get to the hotel, what should I do with it? Surely not leave it in the little box? And then the following way the journey home....

Help, please....
If it were mine, I would have a box with soil in it, and some shredded paper to cover them with.
Once in the hotel, you could let them roam the bathroom area (or if you took a largish box put them in this) give he/she a bathe.
As for traveling back, then again I would use a box with soil in it. With shredded newspaper or the like to cover them. If they are kept cool and in the dark, they are less likely to roam about, and think its just a cool day. This applies to meds.
But I would do the same for any species.
As long as they are not kept in freezing conditions they should be fine.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
alley cat
Adult

It will be interesting to see what those who have been to Hamm have done. I was thinking it would be best to keep the tortoise cool so that it would sleep most of the journey and not get stressed, just a comfy box with bedding and airholes, maybe offer a drink at the hotel (in your room, not at the bar!)
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
kazzabb
Hatched

Can you just transport an animal into the UK with no quarantine etc?
Karen
Old 29-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #6
FLINTUS
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzabb View Post
Can you just transport an animal into the UK with no quarantine etc?
Karen
From what I've read from people who've done it yes (but just with reptiles not with mammals)-as long as you have the certs needed for that specific species. And you can only do it from other countries in the EU.
1.2 Serrated/Forest Hingebacks
Fish
Snails-Achatina Fulica 'Jadatzi', Limicolaria Flammea, Limicolaria Numidica, Archachatina marginata suturalis,
Achatina Tincta

Jadatzi GALS for sale:
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...799#post610799
FLINTUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
Catwoman63
Adult

Thats interesting, id like to visit Hamm one day, and will almost definately bring back a tortoise or two, i wouldnt be able to come out empty handed thats for sure.

Do any of you know of any reptile shows in the uk in essex? x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #8
NATURALIS
Adult

Some of the hotels in Hamm don't allow animal's , thats why i stay at one in holland after the show .
Old 29-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
alley cat
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATURALIS View Post
Some of the hotels in Hamm don't allow animal's , thats why i stay at one in holland after the show .
So do you keep them warm or cool Chris?
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
Hanako
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLINTUS View Post
A decent size poly box works well. Maybe with a heat mat attached to the side just in case of really cold weather. Presuming the hotel openly allows torts, if you are travelling by car and have space you could bring a temp set up-a rabbit cage with a heat lamp maybe to warm her up? You wouldn't really need to use UV as it would only be a couple of days.
Sorry, it may sound thick, but what exactly is poly box? (English is not my first language.) Do you mean polystyrene box? Where would I get it?

Would a plastic box do?

I am not worried that much about the temperatures because it will be June, so it is not winter. Hopefully the temperatures should be ok. In any case, I can bring a heat pad.
Hanako is offline   Reply With Quote