Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #1
Scute Recruit
Egg

Default Tortoise rescue and rehoming?

Can anyone please tell me what reputable tortoise rescue associations there are nationally please? I have found the tortoise protection group online, are there any others that you are aware of?

I know I am new to this tortoise keeping lark but I have become acutely aware of the amount of animals that are unwanted or needing to be rehomed, especially in my local area where the general population is very elderly. I would like to join any well established group and help out. Alternatively I may look at starting to do something on my own as I am in a position where I am being offer tortoises to rehome quite regularly.
Scute Recruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
Suze65
Adult

The British Chelonia Group,

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
alley cat
Adult

Are you a member of The Devon Tortoise Group? they sometimes have tortoises for rehoming but you have to be a member.
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
Lisamn
Hatchling

The Norfolk Tortoise Club - they don't just operate in Norfolk, it's where they're based. Very worthy organisation who rescue and rehome. They're desperate for both volunteer help and keepers to rehome torts in a good environment. They have a website, a Facebook page, a 'shop' of sorts and they meet every month (you don't have to attend meetings). They try to have stalls/stands at various events such as galas, shows, garden centres etc to promote their charity and tortoise welfare/rehoming when they have the personnel to do so. Contact Donna Stocking on their Facebook page and she will discuss rehoming with you.
Lisamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
kazzabb
Hatched

The Tortoise Trust (you have to be a fully paid up member, and they are VERY strict on seeing photos of current enclosures, asking about diet, quarantine facilities), there is Reds Reptile Rescue, Reptile Rescue Den, RPSCA Reptile Rescue in Brighton...you should have photos ready of your enclosure, know about quarantine timeframes, not mixing species, diet and supplements etc.
Good luck
Old 03-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
justmeandmytortoise
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley cat View Post
Are you a member of The Devon Tortoise Group? they sometimes have tortoises for rehoming but you have to be a member.
Really worth looking at joining the Devon Tortoise Group http://www.thedevontortoisegroup.co.uk/

I hear they do lovely meetings with cream teas
Old 03-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #7
jonesy
Hatched

There is also The British Association of Tortoise Keepers reg charity 1083430. I am giving a talk at our Information Day this weekend in Nuneaton if you are interested in coming and meeting us. We have tortoises needing homes but we do have a rehoming criteria so if you can come on sunday we can discuss what is requested. We also do homechecks but you also have our help 24/7. Any questions then please ask.
http://www.tortoiselady.co.uk
http://www.hedgehoglady.co.uk
http://www.gullrockfairbourne.co.uk Holiday home
jonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
BeatBeat
Hatchling

Jonesy, which day is your talk?

0.2.0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri (Matilda & Maizie)
3.0.0 Shetland Sheepdogs (Bryan, Cali & Bubble)
BeatBeat is offline   Reply With Quote