Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Feedback/Suggestions/Problems

Old 17-10-2016, 05:45 PM   #1
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Question Mobile version?

Hi folks

I think it would be good if we had a mobile version of the forum that linked in with the desktop version.

But what do others think? If there was a mobile version would you use it, even just occasionally?
Old 17-10-2016, 06:16 PM   #2
Jan W
Sub Adult

Are you thinking of a mobile app? If so I may well.

I am on twitter, signed up because everyone said I should, but I hate it. Really boring from my perspective, but many people just love it.

Most of the time I am on the sofa whilst on the forum and using my surface pro (cross between lap top and iPad) but I have a detachable key board, which I like. I think it is because I like to read, think, look carefully at the pictures, so I do spend time rather than a quick flick.

I have reduced my use of technology - a tech detox is the new term! Having been a slave to it in a very demanding job I am now free and love it. I like technology, but in it's place.

Saying all that, it is important to meet everyone's needs and so we need to be open minded.
Old 17-10-2016, 07:41 PM   #3
emma_mcraf
Adult

I'm really old-fashioned and like to use SW on my desktop. If I access it on Hubby's work iPad in the evenings the current version works just the same. So for my technophobe information, what would we gain from a mobile version?

I don't do Facebook, Twitter or any social media. Quite anti-it to be honest. As Jan says, technology has its place. However, I saw the thread mentioning that people prefer to use Facebook groups rather than forums and I can only imagine it's for the convenience as they're on Facebook anyway?

Having said all that, I'm all for anything to prevent the decline of the forum if it's something people would prefer or find beneficial.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 07:51 PM   #4
Gordon
Adult

If it at broken it don't need fixing.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 08:16 PM   #5
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I might use it if need be. When I moved house I had weeks of no broadband due to BT incompetence and had to go on sites on my phone, some of which were not mobile friendly and I had great trouble reading the tiny text. During that time my passwords were nicked for various things yet the woman at the bank told me my phone was safer than my computer for banking online. Absolute nonsense. I hate using those apps things on my phone as you have to agree to stuff every time, stuff that I don't fancy agreeing to.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 08:25 PM   #6
terrypin
Adult

The main difference as I see it is data usage so if you have access to WiFi you are as well using the full version. Most phones now expand the screen so text size is not an issue. If on the other hand you are using your mobile packet data then the full version is a lot heavier and of course the mobile version is sized ready to go. I am sure you could moderate as well using the mobile version but full admin is not so simple.
Old 17-10-2016, 08:29 PM   #7
terrypin
Adult

OK made myself a liar. I have just checked and Administration panel is not affected.
Old 17-10-2016, 10:59 PM   #8
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

OK so it's just when we're not on wifi that it would be any better? I don't go onto SW when I'm on the bus and suchlike. (oops just remembered the bus has wifi now............)
Old 17-10-2016, 11:23 PM   #9
burnt toast
Adult

I think its a good idea & may attract more activity
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 05:34 PM   #10
Suze65
Adult

I'm going to sound really stupid now, but I'm not sure what you mean by a mobile version, is that an app. But I agree with some others , if it attracts more people, then let's give it a try. It would be nice if we could up load photos more easily, rather than having to use photo bucket, it seems a bit out of date now. I don't like the face book groups, I still prefer a forum, with all the data, available as a resource of information to refer to, which FB doesn't have. But up loading photos is much easier.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote