Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 09-11-2017, 10:20 PM   #1
Bec93
Egg

Default Tortoise table package from the tortoise shop?????

Hiya could i get some opinions on https://www.thetortoiseshop.com/tort...Tortoise-Table

I'm completely new to tortoises and I'm looking at getting a tunisian- i just wondered what people thought of this package?
Ill be getting topsoil for substrate but i wanted to know what everyone thinks of the lighting provided etc etc?

thank you, I'm trying to make sure everything is perfect for when i get a tort as i don't want to d anything wrong
Bec93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:25 PM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

Hi Bec,

I've only had a quick look at the photo but it immediately jumps out at me that the table doesn't look very deep at only 8''. By the time you've added the top soil, it isn't going to be deep at all. I'm not knowledgeable on Tunisians but if they can climb anything like my Hermanns do, it'll soon be out of the table!
You have the option of adding a lip all the way around the table but to be honest you could make your own table deeper and with a lip rather than have to change the one you've bought.

My second thought was how expensive the table was. If you have a little look through the housing threads, you can see how cheaply and simply people put together tables, costing a fraction of the price. Using bookcases has been popular and CherryBrandy has some great threads on providing lovely tables for her torts that can be made easily and cheaply.

The bedding area is often a wasted space. Torts much prefer to have the entire table to roam about than have that sectioned off bit. Mine will snuggle into a corner, get under a habba hut or wooden bendy log bridge (both cheap to buy) or just stay where they are and snooze away. The bedding part of a table is unnecessary as far as I'm concerned.

Good to hear you'll be using topsoil. The clamp lamp and combi lamp are fine but ideally you want your lamp to hang from an adjustable stand, so you can lower or higher it, to ensure the basking temp doesn't get too high in the table. As it's not too deep, I think that could be an issue with this lamp in this table, but I'm sure others will be along to give some more advice.

It's great that you're doing your research before getting your tort. Best to get it right before he or she comes home.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:24 PM   #3
Bec93
Egg

Default heating and lighting

Thanks so much for the reply! its been hard trying to piece together decent information! i think i may go for a mercury vapour but also a strip uv

i was also considering a ceramic heater on a stat for night as my flat gets down to around 13 degrees at the moment and i wouldn't want them to be cold-what do you think?

Ill have a look at the housing threads! i tend to be a bit suspicious of complete packages and so I'm glad to have posted on here before hand thanks again! xxx
Bec93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:52 PM   #4
emma_mcraf
Adult

You're welcome.
I have separate UV strips and heat lamps in all but two of my tables.
A CHE on a thermostat sounds a good idea if your flat is cold at night. Tunisians are more susceptible to RNS so keeping them warm is essential but I'm sure Gordon can tell you more about that.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 02:51 PM   #5
NATURALIS
Adult

I would be very cautious not to keep Tunisian tortoises to damp there prone to respiratory infections . A good substrate would be a mix of small stone and sharp sand. For humidity cut a plant pot in half long ways and hot glue a piece of sponge on the inside roof which water can be added for nightime humidity . I'd also add the room temps need to be warm. Hope this helps

Last edited by NATURALIS; 30-01-2018 at 02:58 PM.
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 04:45 PM   #6
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec93 View Post
Hiya could i get some opinions on https://www.thetortoiseshop.com/tort...Tortoise-Table

I'm completely new to tortoises and I'm looking at getting a tunisian- i just wondered what people thought of this package?
Ill be getting topsoil for substrate but i wanted to know what everyone thinks of the lighting provided etc etc?

thank you, I'm trying to make sure everything is perfect for when i get a tort as i don't want to d anything wrong
The whole thing is well over priced.
You can easily make a table larger and higher for a lot less:0)
You can buy the lamp etc for cheaper too. I know its convenient to buy like this, but its a false economy. As your tortoise will out grow the table very quickly, so you will need a larger one. Far better to get/make a larger table to start with.
Also buying a tortoise from a good breeder is far better than any shop:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 04:46 PM   #7
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec93 View Post
Thanks so much for the reply! its been hard trying to piece together decent information! i think i may go for a mercury vapour but also a strip uv

i was also considering a ceramic heater on a stat for night as my flat gets down to around 13 degrees at the moment and i wouldn't want them to be cold-what do you think?

Ill have a look at the housing threads! i tend to be a bit suspicious of complete packages and so I'm glad to have posted on here before hand thanks again! xxx
You do not need heat at night, tortoises need a drop in temps then. The heat of the house is fine, as they tend to dig down then anyway:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:23 PM   #8
CherryBrandy
Adult

Hi Bec, how did you get on? it can be very confusing for new keepers so keep posting. no question too silly. I know the below isn't a fabulous design sat in the corner of a lounge but it is versatile, hygienic, and very cheap. You can buy a grow bag tray to suit the size of the area and some reclaimed wood or from B& Q and it cost less than £20.00. The tortoise will grow so quick and should be outside continually quicker than a blink.

Tags
lighti, tortoise table, tunisian