Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 04-11-2007, 10:54 PM   #1
bernards mom
Sub Adult

Default leopard eggs

looking through alot of these messages most people dont recomend breeding leopards and if they get eggs destroying them.
how are you suposed to do this, will not incubating them be enough?
in general how many do they lay?
if in the future i have the knowledge and equipment and wanted to have some hatchlings from eggs, could you just incubate a couple? if you no wot your doing what is the sucess rate for these eggs?
Old 04-11-2007, 11:33 PM   #2
EJ
Adult

Default Re: leopard eggs

Kind of a silly notion but that's another personal decision I think is hatched in the deep end.

I've got 7 eggs right now... only one appears fertile. How do you tell which you save?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernards mom
looking through alot of these messages most people dont recomend breeding leopards and if they get eggs destroying them.
how are you suposed to do this, will not incubating them be enough?
in general how many do they lay?
if in the future i have the knowledge and equipment and wanted to have some hatchlings from eggs, could you just incubate a couple? if you no wot your doing what is the sucess rate for these eggs?
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:16 AM   #3
sandy
Adult

The reason for not incubating leopard eggs in the UK is that there are not enough homes that
can support them. We have had quite a few seizures in the UK over the last ten years, and
most agencies are having a hard time finding homes for them.
The other reason is they are very very pretty when young and keepers buy them, only to find
out a few years later their size. Also the amount of money it takes to keep them.
There are some brilliant keepers of leopards out there, but lots rehome theirs when they get
to big. Hence leopards coming up regularly for rehoming.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:27 AM   #4
bernards mom
Sub Adult

ed which part is a sill notion? if in a few years time i in theory had a chance to breed them and i only had two yet the eguipment and room for more then why not breed them. i would nt want lots which is why i was asking about the theory of only incuabting a couple!
as for rehoming them i have put my name down on several list stating leopards was 1 of the species i would be interested in and was told to hold tight as there werent alot of rehomers this year. i have also been told that people wanting to rehome far outnumber the tortoises that need to rehomed!
Old 08-11-2007, 05:08 PM   #5
LeeCherry
Egg

Send a message via MSN to LeeCherry

Bernards Mom, where do you put your name down for rehoming?

I have had a look on the web and can't seem to find any
LeeCherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:18 PM   #6
Laraine
Adult

Send a message via Yahoo to Laraine

If you are a member of the Tortoise Trust you can rehome through them, I habe rehomed a number of tortoises this year via the Trust.
Look on their website for details. Sometimes rehomers are available on this site.
It will all depend on your experience, knowledge and facilities you can offer for a tortoise.

Laraine
Old 08-11-2007, 05:49 PM   #7
EJ
Adult

The part about destroying eggs...

Quote:
ed which part is a sill notion? if in a few years time i in theory had a chance to breed them and i only had two yet the eguipment and room for more then why not breed them. i would nt want lots which is why i was asking about the theory of only incuabting a couple!
as for rehoming them i have put my name down on several list stating leopards was 1 of the species i would be interested in and was told to hold tight as there werent alot of rehomers this year. i have also been told that people wanting to rehome far outnumber the tortoises that need to rehomed!
and
Old 11-11-2007, 09:19 PM   #8
bernards mom
Sub Adult

for somebody who is usually very vocal u dont explain a lot there.
i am obviously asking a question that i dont no the answer to which i thought was the whole idea of this site!
Old 11-11-2007, 09:28 PM   #9
EJ
Adult

bernards mom wrote:
"looking through alot of these messages most people dont recomend breeding leopards and if they get eggs destroying them. "

EJ wrote:
"Kind of a silly notion but that's another personal decision..."

bernards mom wrote:
ed which part is a sill notion?

EJ wrote:
The part about destroying eggs...

I don't think any eggs should be destroyed. I would think that if If you don't want eggs you shouldn't have pairs of animals together.
I hope this makes it clearer.

Quote:
for somebody who is usually very vocal u dont explain a lot there.
i am obviously asking a question that i dont no the answer to which i thought was the whole idea of this site!
and
Old 11-11-2007, 09:42 PM   #10
bernards mom
Sub Adult

i personally wouldnt destroy any eggs after advice on how to destroy giant african land snail eggs i was horrified and ended up with about 400 tiny snails. anyway i was mearly repeating what i had heard on here and so was wondering if not incubating them would be enough for them not to hatch!