Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 03-04-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
touie
Hatched

Default halogen lamps and cold frames

how would you go about doing a heated coldframe, I have heard halogen garden lamps are the way to go but how would you safely fix one to a small outside building like a cold frame?

also is this the type people use? http://www.mptools.co.uk/pp/Power_To...ogen_Lamp.html
touie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by touie View Post
how would you go about doing a heated coldframe, I have heard halogen garden lamps are the way to go but how would you safely fix one to a small outside building like a cold frame?

also is this the type people use? http://www.mptools.co.uk/pp/Power_To...ogen_Lamp.html
i would use this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/150w-halogen-f...item1c1aa0e316
A normal cold frame isn't very deep but, you could build the sides up by making a wooden box the same size as the frame.
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
Kirkie
Adult

You need a good, solid cold frame. The double ones that are a metre square are good because the have a strut running along the middle of the roof to which you can attach the lamp (I use cable ties).

I had to increase the height of the frame by mounting it on a frame as RFM suggests. This year I'm building one from scratch from polycarb sheeting.

Either of the lanps linked to would be suitable. They are a great, cheap way to heat the tortoises.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
touie
Hatched

thanks I will have a look at cold frames to get ideas now I have the lamp sorted
touie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #5
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

A halogen lamp can be suspended from a stand like we might do indoors. I use a dimming thmostat which turns the lamp up and down according to need. I think this is well worth having. This can also allow you to use a coldframe with less height to it.

There can be problems with some coldframes of water getting in. You want the coldframe to be as dry as possible but it is important to use a circuit breaker so that if any water does get it, the electricity goes off right away.