Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 03-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
Urban Rogue
Egg

Default CHE Question !

On buying a Habistat 600w Dimmer stat for our setup we have since reading up on here decided to do away with the heat bulb and introduce a CHE along side the UV strip so that the little fella (Yoda the Hermann) gets some darktime but still keeps his temperature comfortable for him.

The question I wanted to ask is ,
Could I simply buy a new fitting and CHE and would it work with a 600w dimmer switch or do I need a new stat of some sort ?

Thanks in advance
Urban Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
TillyTortoise
Adult

The dimming stat would be fine. Depending what lamp holder you are using now that may be fine also Make sure though, that if you do away with the basking lamp that the enclosure is still well lit.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Urban Rogue
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TillyTortoise View Post
The dimming stat would be fine. Depending what lamp holder you are using now that may be fine also Make sure though, that if you do away with the basking lamp that the enclosure is still well lit.
Well this is my only worry , We have the UV strip on from around 7am till 7pm along with his basking Lamp , But when we turn off the UV its still really bright in there and we were told this could be stressful for him and effect his sleep patterns.

Obviously he still needs the warmth at night so we wondered if doing away with the basking lamp in favour of the CHE would be better so when the UV is off he gets the warmth without the light.

He is setup in our dining room which is warm and always has some form of light on so he wouldnt be in pitch dark. Another factor is that the basking bulb doesnt always keep a steady 35c in the basking area and we read that the CHE are a lot better.

Im guessing the other option would be a slightly more powerful basking bulb maybe coloured (red or green) so it gives off a softer light once the UV is off.

Im totally in need of help.
Lee

ps
The current lamp holder is just a plastic bayonet one , so would need changing to a CHE compatible one.

Last edited by Urban Rogue; 03-01-2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: typo (sorry)
Old 03-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
Merlin M
Adult

I would suggest keeping the lamp and adding the CHE, so have the lamp go off with the UV tube and the CHE stay on over night ( its what I do)
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
Urban Rogue
Egg

Hi Merlin M
Would you suggest running a second stat ? or could i run both off the same stat i already have ?

Sorry for being a pain with questions
Old 03-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
TillyTortoise
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Rogue View Post
Well this is my only worry , We have the UV strip on from around 7am till 7pm along with his basking Lamp , But when we turn off the UV its still really bright in there and we were told this could be stressful for him and effect his sleep patterns.

Obviously he still needs the warmth at night so we wondered if doing away with the basking lamp in favour of the CHE would be better so when the UV is off he gets the warmth without the light.

He is setup in our dining room which is warm and always has some form of light on so he wouldnt be in pitch dark. Another factor is that the basking bulb doesnt always keep a steady 35c in the basking area and we read that the CHE are a lot better.

Im guessing the other option would be a slightly more powerful basking bulb maybe coloured (red or green) so it gives off a softer light once the UV is off.

Im totally in need of help.
Lee

ps
The current lamp holder is just a plastic bayonet one , so would need changing to a CHE compatible one.
Sorry, I meant well lit in the day You want a day/night cycle. So light for 12-14 hours and then darkness.

Although thermostats are great, they aren't going to give you temperatures that are bang on, it depends what the background temperature is also.

Like Merlin says, maybe add the CHE as an addition for the night and keep the basking lamp for the day. You will though then need another thermostat, the pulse stats work great with CHE

You should look at changing the lamp holder anyway, the plastic ones aren't suitable really, you want a ceramic holder.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
Merlin M
Adult

I use 2 stats, one for the heat lamp set at 34C (mostly as it gets too warm in the summer) and a second set at 20C for the CHE (which I have set up in the cool end)

But I would think provided it is rated high enough it should work off the same thermostat but am not sure...
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
Urban Rogue
Egg

Nice one thanks guys really appreciate the help here.
I really want to try get this right for him , I think im going to order a CHE + pulse stat and also change the bulb from a white light to a red or green one while I wait to get it delivered & fitted to hopefully not stress his sleep pattern around too much.

That way atleast when the UV is on its going to be nice and bright and once off its going to be a softer lighting for him (not so harsh) then as Merlin M Suggested im going to look at fitting the CHE at the cool end @20c and see how that goes.

Again thanks for all the help guys much appreciated.

Lee
Old 04-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #9
Suze65
Adult

I would use an ordinary white basking bulb, for the day with the uv strip, and your red one for the night( while your waiting for the CHE to arrive )

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #10
Urban Rogue
Egg

Yer I think I will , I think the problem ive been having maintaining 35c is the basking bulb is only 60w Im actually wondering if a 100w would hold daytime temp better then allow the CHE to take over at night once the basking lamp is off ??

Again thanks fortaking the time to help guys.
Lee
1.0.0 - Staffordshire Bull Terrier (Axel)

Tags
che, habistat, hermann