Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 30-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
Jambo Jones
Egg

Unhappy My Hermann is not eating.

Hello, I recently got a 2 year old Hermann tortoise (1 week ago) from someone who had been keeping it in a viv, I have made him a table, its 3.5 x 2.5 feet, I have a heat lamp and uvb light at one end, which I've been having on for 10-12 hours a day, the temp at this end is around 85, the other end, where I also keep his food is around 75, 65 in the evening. I have approximately 3 inches of substrate (70% top soil/30% prorep sand). My problem is that he has stopped eating. He was ok for the first 4-5 days but hasn't eaten for 2 days now. I've been giving him dandelion leaves and a bulked it up a bit with little gem lettuce, Any advice would be greatly appreciated, he is very active, so I don't think that he is trying to hibernate. I guess he could be settling in, but I'm not sure.
Jambo Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Jambo

He is probably just settling in, so I wouldn't worry too much at this stage. Your set-up sounds ok,do you know what diet he was on before?

Sometimes if you bathe them it can stimulate their appetite. I would try giving him a nice soak, in warm water for about 15 mins or so, then pop him in front of his food.
Old 30-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
Jambo Jones
Egg

Hi Bindi, I know he wasn't on the best diet, grapes, cabbage etc, I've been bathing him daily, maybe not for as long as 15 mins so I'll give him a bit longer in future. Is there a "good time" to feed? Also what would be the best time for his bath? I also forgot to mention that he was in the viv with another male Hermann and they were fighting which is how I ended up with him. Thanks for the advice!!
Jambo Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

He's may be being picky because of the diet he was on before, and it'll take him a while to get him onto a better diet. Perseverance is the key

Try bathing him when he's warmed up a little under his basking light, and then give him his food directly after that.

You could even forget about feeding him for one day to see if it kick starts his appetite

Stick with it Jambo, you're heading in the right direction
Old 30-09-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
EJ
Adult

Tortoises in general do not respond well to any kind of change and it sounds like you changed everything. Give it some time and monitor the weight. Make sure it always has water and check out some of the posts on manufactured diets/Pelleted diets.

Morning and late afternoon are the better times to offer food.

Otherwise your setup sounds perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo Jones View Post
Hello, I recently got a 2 year old Hermann tortoise (1 week ago) from someone who had been keeping it in a viv, I have made him a table, its 3.5 x 2.5 feet, I have a heat lamp and uvb light at one end, which I've been having on for 10-12 hours a day, the temp at this end is around 85, the other end, where I also keep his food is around 75, 65 in the evening. I have approximately 3 inches of substrate (70% top soil/30% prorep sand). My problem is that he has stopped eating. He was ok for the first 4-5 days but hasn't eaten for 2 days now. I've been giving him dandelion leaves and a bulked it up a bit with little gem lettuce, Any advice would be greatly appreciated, he is very active, so I don't think that he is trying to hibernate. I guess he could be settling in, but I'm not sure.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
Neddy
Sub Adult

These things do take time and you will find a lot of posts regarding the same thing. I agree with Bindi Perseverance is the key
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 07:32 PM   #7
WriterNick
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to WriterNick

Let us know how it goes Jambo, your tort is very lucky to have found such a good and caring owner and once he has settled in he will be showing his happiness!
WriterNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #8
shellonia
Sub Adult

I wonder if 85 is high enough for the basking area?Most people keep it at 90-93.You will notice a real difference if you raise the temps.It's my bet he'll come to life in a way you don't expect!Just try and see.
shellonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 08:42 PM   #9
yuna1971
Adult

I wonder if perhaps Jambo could try bathing when torty is cold, or cool.??
I often have found that when warmed, Lily will not stay very long in the bath. He will want to get out.
If colder, (IMO) I notice that Lily will sit there for longer, and drink or wade.
Just something else to think about.
You could also try enticing him by cucumber juice drizzled over the weeds, by this - not much - just a little.
But....as others haave said, could just be a normal settling in period - all of a sudden the other male isnt there. New surrounding. It will sort itself in due time. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #10
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

they sometimes go weeks without eating much after change. try the temperature a bit higher to see if it makes a difference
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hermann, not eating, vivarium