Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 13-03-2010, 08:13 PM   #11
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Might be worth investing in a tubular heater to give the area a little ambient heat. I've not used these myself, but they are supposed to be quite economical. I really think you need to up those temps to get your little one eating and active.
Old 13-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #12
2steps
Egg

Something like this? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2FT-ELECTRIC-T...item2c530109bb
2steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 08:21 PM   #13
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

That's the kind of thing, yes. You can get them in all different lengths, I would think the longer the better. I'm pretty sure Stells (kelly) uses them, as does Evie if you want a bit more info about them. I did have a link for a site that sold them but can't seem to find it

I did a search on tubular heaters, lots of people have asked questions about them, if you want to have a little look http://shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/s...archid=2706995

http://shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/s...archid=2707000

Here's the link to the site I was looking for.http://www.e-tradecounter.co.uk/p-13...ar-heater.aspx

Last edited by Bindi; 13-03-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Bindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 01:22 PM   #14
2steps
Egg

Thanks they look good.

Searched my loft and found a normal large bulb to fit the holder I have, it's 250w and now the temperatures are 36 degrees directly under it and 23 degrees furthest from it. I was planning to move the ceramic heater to that end later today to heat that up a bit more. In the week I'll buy a lower wattage bulb as it's hung as high as possible above the table to achieve that temp so I can't raise it anymore when the house warms up in the summer.

I bathed him yesterday which he seemed to like but has still buried himself and stayed there. One type of leaf has been eaten but its a small amount so I put some more of that in this morning. Should I unbury him or just leave him alone?
Old 14-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #15
TortBabe
Adult

On the torts hearing, I don't think its overly sensitive...as with the noise in my house, kids arguing and me shouting and the dog barking and the tv blaring, I don't think mine would ever bother to come out....
Old 15-03-2010, 11:03 AM   #16
Beverley
Adult

I would get him up and bath him. When you put him back in have his weeds waiting, place him near his basking spot so he can see his weeds, if u had a flower or two to attract his attention like a pansy
before your basking temps were a bit low, now at 36c they are a little high but you are doing great
Old 15-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #17
abee_fell_
Hatched

With the hearing, mine are fine with average noise levels, I think its vibrations they don't like, for example, if my stereos on a bassy song or the hoovers going over in my room they go a bit crazy, like roam around their enclosure as to say what the hell is that racket?!!
abee_fell_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #18
2steps
Egg

Thank you all. Wanted to update to say he is now out much more and has eaten yesterday and today Still spends a lot of time buried though.
Old 17-03-2010, 11:45 PM   #19
TortBabe
Adult

Glad to hear he's doing better for you. My babies also sleep a lot, the littlest 1 goes to bed for the night about 3pm and the bigger 1 about 4 or 5, I think this must be normal baby tort behaviour as my older tort goes to bed about 8pm!