Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 04-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #21
Kirkie
Adult

Well said Mr D! It is shameful the way some sellers operate. Tortoises are by no means easy but they should be enjoyed

Good choice of tortoise too, Hermanns rock
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:06 PM   #22
alotoffluff
Adult

Location: greenwich, london, previously born and brought up in Kent!

I too bought from the dreaded pet shop, but have learnt very quickly to ignore all the advise they gave me! I was never told about bathing, heat temps, the right diet etc,, instead i was told to feed lettuce and green veg and to keep the light on all night!
It just goes to show that pet shop owners need educating!
alotoffluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:09 PM   #23
MrD
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by alotoffluff View Post
I too bought from the dreaded pet shop, but have learnt very quickly to ignore all the advise they gave me! I was never told about bathing, heat temps, the right diet etc,, instead i was told to feed lettuce and green veg and to keep the light on all night!
It just goes to show that pet shop owners need educating!

Thanks alotoffluff, I am glad to see that I am not the only one!!
MrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:11 PM   #24
alotoffluff
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrD View Post
Thanks alotoffluff, I am glad to see that I am not the only one!!
Nah, i thought i was dfoing the right thing by buying from a pet shop. then i joined this site and slapped my own wrist!!!
Old 04-01-2009, 06:08 PM   #25
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi Mr.D! I would agree that it's irresponsible for anyone to claim that tortoises are really easy to keep (at least in our climate). Sadly the shops have a vested interest in saying this but no real interest in the longer term health or wellbeing of the tortoise.

These tortoises found their way to someone who took the trouble to look into their needs. Many of us started with a tortoise bought in haste or from someone who didn't know the first thing, so you are in good company!
Old 04-01-2009, 06:12 PM   #26
alotoffluff
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
Hi Mr.D! I would agree that it's irresponsible for anyone to claim that tortoises are really easy to keep (at least in our climate). Sadly the shops have a vested interest in saying this but no real interest in the longer term health or wellbeing of the tortoise.

These tortoises found their way to someone who took the trouble to look into their needs. Many of us started with a tortoise bought in haste or from someone who didn't know the first thing, so you are in good company!
Well said, couldnt have put it better myself!
Old 05-01-2009, 12:55 AM   #27
MrD
Hatched

Thank you very much all for your comments. It is reassuring to know that people have been where I am now, having only owned my two Hermanns for about 5 months now.
I am hoping to post some pics of my torts and their housing to make sure they look ok, and their housing set-up. I know I am panicking as there are so many varying books and websites with advice, and I am trying to find the best info possible, so that I don't make mistakes!

I think I should have somehow made this it's own thread... but being a newbie I have absolutely no idea how I would even start to go about that!! ha ha
MrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 08:36 PM   #28
Steph37
Hatched

One of my Hermanns is a real 'water baby'-he loves his 'paddling pool' and will put his head under for ages to drink(it's not deep-it's a struggle to get his head right under) but also he loves to come out in the rain if it's warm too.

Does anyone else find that a bath makes them randy???!!
Steph37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #29
sandra31
Egg

i must be quite lucky then, i have seen my tort drink loads of times, either in his inside enclosure and his outside enclosure. i must admit he wasnt a great fan of his daily baths at first, but now he is fine and will sit in his bath quite happily for 15- 20 mins. Timmy is 7 months old now, and will go to his water dish if he needs it. i see him yesterday afternoon having a little drink while he was out side. next time i will have my camera handy!
just persist with the daily baths and keep an eye on him if he is hiding in his shell while in the water, they do drink while there head is under the water.
i have the water level about chin level and maybe top him up if the water gets a bit cold. once he has his bath he is ready for his breakfast!
you could start with small amounts of water in the bath and every day make it a bit deeper untill he/she get used to it.
sandra31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 09:50 PM   #30
abee_fell_
Hatched

Lots of good bathing tips. I've been bathing mine, Wednesday, Monday and Friday so far (well the week I've had them!), but only for about 5 mins or so as they're trying to get out, waters going cold and I start to panic about them putting their heads under for too long, so is it safe to apply these tips to my Horsfield babies? Or do they need a longer/shorter period in the bath.

Also, reading through about pet shop bought torts, I visted my local pet shop not long ago to mooch for dog toys, and picked up their care sheet for Horsfields, and some numpty had put the temp requirements as 80-85c!!!!! I think they meant faranheit, however my temperature conversions are not so hot (pardon the pun) but my goodness, how many fried Horsfields could there be out there because of this wrong information?! Obviously I notified someone which worked there, they seemed quite embarressed, so they should be!!
abee_fell_ is offline   Reply With Quote