Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 28-12-2008, 08:49 AM   #11
3lli3 xx
Egg

yes, i have heard they actually don't need to drink an awfull lot. But batheing them once a day will give it enoough hydration to soak up through skin and through their bottoms. with a small amount of juicy fruits they will get enough liquid from them aswell but don't go over the top as this can lead to runny poos.
3lli3 xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 09:52 AM   #12
swad1000
Adult

If there heads are under the water theres a good chance they are drinking.

They have to submerge both there mouths and nostrils to enable them to drink.

Anna you say that your two use there water as a toilet, usually when then are in the water they will go to the toilet, as they can replace the lost fluids used by going to the toilet.

So they may be drinking but you just haven't seen it.

My torts are 3 years old, and still get a bath most days.
swad1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 10:20 AM   #13
CJ
Sub Adult

If you have some digital scales, weigh your tortoise before putting it in the bath, and then weigh after the bath. Obviously they will be heavier after the bath if they've been drinking!
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 12:38 PM   #14
Kirkie
Adult

Like Swad says the nose has to be under water for them to drink. Watch their necks, its a far better indication of whether their drinking. You should see them gulping
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 12:55 PM   #15
sandy
Adult

Fruits are a no no as they can and do upset their gut flora
You should see a tortoise drink when it rains, they love puddles, or leaves that have caught rain. They can drink for up to five mins non stop

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:17 AM   #16
MrD
Hatched

Hi,

I have just been reading through and thought I'd ask about how often to bath my Hermanns torts, both almost 3 years. Currently, I am bathing them once a week for about 20mins in warm water. I just noticed that some people are doing their torts every day. Should I be bathing mine more often? They do have a shallow dish of water in their enclosure.

Any advice or opinions would be much appreciated.

Marcos
MrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:23 AM   #17
Paulg1
Adult

Alot of people soak every day just to make sure they are getting good hydration. It's not necessary but you should at least a few times a week. Every other day to every two days is long enough.

"Stop the world, I want to get off!"
Paulg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:14 AM   #18
3lli3 xx
Egg

yes, marcos, the main reason i bathe mine ech day is because it is a hatchling and they can suffer more from dehydration than older torts, so every few days should be fine for you
Old 04-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #19
alotoffluff
Adult

Location: greenwich, london, previously born and brought up in Kent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lli3 xx View Post
yes, marcos, the main reason i bathe mine ech day is because it is a hatchling and they can suffer more from dehydration than older torts, so every few days should be fine for you
I also bath Fluffy every day and he seems to enjoy it. Always passes urates and does a lovely big poo!
alotoffluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:29 PM   #20
MrD
Hatched

Hi,
Thanks for the advice. I will try and bath them more than once a week to ensure they are hydrated enough.
I have to say that I love my torts very much and I have become so attached to them, but I was one of these 'naive impulse buyers' from a pet shop back in August (please don't throw things at me). Since buying them I have researched and read and asked advice and read some more!! However, I am so annoyed by the fact that pet shops (and I quote) tell you that 'tortoises are really easy to keep and require very little work and attention'. How wrong they are?!
I don't regret getting Herman (original I know) and Patch, but I feel for the tortoises and people who are buying them and then following the pet stores advice... "Put them in a cage and give them pellets mixed with fruits and vegetables" (which is what I was told).

I know I have so posted this in the wrong place... But it is so frustrating to think they are just making money are not actually giving good advice. So I am very thankful for places like this!!

Is it obvious I am newbie to the world of torts!! Though I think I have been thoroughly converted!!
MrD is offline   Reply With Quote