Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 28-10-2008, 11:40 AM   #1
Sally_liz
Incubating

Unhappy Wheezing Hermann

Hi,

I have two Uk bread male hermann tortoises aged 7 & 3 (Rodney & Trigger). I have only had them for approx 5 weeks so am new at this. I did a lot of research into tortoises before I got them home but I am still presented with plenty of worries and surprises. They were initally got as a male and female living together untill the bigger one started attacking the little one even though they had lived together quite happily before (they are now apart).
The little one then decided to flash me one morning causing much panic untill it was confirmed he was prob a male and that he was showing me his man hood, (this is now a daily occurance for both of them).
I have now noticed they both only ocassionally wheeze. They are both active and eat reguarlly (even though they are fussy). I have found a local reptile vet who they are going to see next week for a beek trim and worming because they both also have these problems but was after some advice for the wheezing as am panicking and the vet is away untill next week.
I am aware as to the fact they were poorly treated before I had them so am not hibernating them this year incase.
Is wheezing normal??

I appreciate any responces or ideas.

Cheers

Sally_liz
Sally_liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 12:02 PM   #2
Beverley
Adult

I would not hibernate them either.
If they have nice bright eyes and no discharge or bubbles coming from the nose then try not to worry too much.
A visit to the vet is a good idea, try and make sure they know about torts not all retile vets do.
Let us know how you get on, but if you are concerned see if you can be seen sooner.
Old 28-10-2008, 12:12 PM   #3
Sally_liz
Incubating

Cheers,

They both seem bright and there's no discharge at all. Unfortunatly there is only the one reptile vet in the area, although the receptionist said when I called that he see lots of tortoises. I'm still a bit weary and will have to see how he acts with them next week.
How do you think the beak should be trimmed, should he use cutters or a file? I've found the more research you do for it the more confusing it gets. Some places say cutters shouldn't be used as they can crack the beak but the older tort especially has an excessivly long beak so I don't know if just a file would do the job.

I'm noticing these pet make you worry!!!!! lol.

Cheers x
Old 28-10-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
shafach
Juvenile

Hi Sally, welcome to the worry club of owning torts !!! have had pets all my life, but have never worried over creatures as much since i have had my two hermanns !!! am noticing different things about them all the time that make me concerned and anxious - you will find this site a great help - we have all been frantic about these little critters at some point!!!

two hermanns - Mikey and Ralph
two moggies -Kenny and Roisin
one hamster -Trev
shafach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
Sally_liz
Incubating

I did so much research before I got my Hermanns, thought I was pretty up to speed and prepared for their arrival, apparently not. I must have read at least 30 websites, I think it made it worse. Lol. What they don't say is as each tortoise has a different character they respond differenttly. I have one who won't talk to me after a bath and the other loves it! They are both fussy also. They had both lived on packet lettuce leaves and T-Rex tortoise food, so trying them on weeds and the right stuff is impossiable!! they refuse to eat and after a week I tend to back down and give them a minimal amount of the T-Rex food. I feel mean, but am hoping that they won't be more stubborn than me. Lol.

Cheers for all the swift responces.
Old 28-10-2008, 08:34 PM   #6
Beverley
Adult

Sally you are doing a great job, I would think, although I have never had to trim a torts beak yet, that a file would be better, also feed them on something such as a thick piece of slate or tile this helps to keep beak trimmed.
Also don't cut up their weeds let them rip it apart themselves, they are so good at it
Old 29-10-2008, 08:27 AM   #7
sandy
Adult

Sally
With the diet, try feeding a mix of what they had before, and what you want them to eat now. Or even rub the horrible pellets over the food so it smell of pellets.
Then lessen the bad foods and increase the good ones. This way they wont realise to early they are eating good foods. They are stubbon little devils
Their beaks, if you can you can use an emeryboard or nail file to have a go at trimming them.
A picture would help us tell you whether they are male and female or not, the plasteron (flat undershell). Males will bash males for domination, males will bash females for mating, females generally leave other females alone, except when they are gravid.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 09:44 AM   #8
Sally_liz
Incubating

I have tried mixing broccoli, cauliflower, dandelions etc in with the pellets and they ate around it, I have no idea how. I tried feeding them on a slate/stone, but they kept weeing on their food (you'd think if they were clever enough to know how to eat around stuff they they'd know not to wee on it!!). Am now feeding them from a stone feeding bowl so am hoping that'll do the trick.
Am trying to upload piccys but they are in the wrong format for photo bucket and am having problems. Any ideas????

Cheers
Old 29-10-2008, 10:42 AM   #9
Sally_liz
Incubating

I've figured it out, (I think)

This is Rodney 7yr old hermann

This is Trigger 3yr old hermann

Old 29-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #10
sandy
Adult

Cabbage and brocolli are not good for your tortoises anyway, they inhibit the absorbtion of calcium to their bones.
You need to feed, dandilions, sowthistle, bittercress, plantains, campanula, flowers and leave to name just a few. Weeds are the main diet of most tortoises. If you keep feeding pellets, your tortoise wont eat anything else. They are very addictive, and most keepers who take on tortoises with a diet like this, have to be very tough, and not feed them. If they dont eat for a couple of months it wont hurt tortoises. They can go without for for a very long time. But they can go without water, dehydration is one of the biggest killers in tortoises.
No healthy tortoise will starve, but they will be stronng willed. You have to be stronger and not feed the pellets.
One rehomer I took on, didnt eat for three months, before he decided I wouldnt give in and feed a bad diet

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hermann, mediterranean tortoise, wheezing