Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 29-05-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
*tam*

Default Randy young male :-S

Hi,

I just wanted to check what age Hermanns torts usually start to think about breeding? With the lovely sunny weather we've been having Houdini has been more interested in Harriet than he should be given his age! Harriet doesn't seem to mind and sometimes chases after him if he decides to satisfy his other need instead...his stomach!

They are both 6 years old, measure around 12 cm (she's 12.5cm) and weigh 436g (him) and 444g (her). My experience before these has always been with older torts though from what I've read they shouldn't be old enough to be thinking naughty thoughts yet?! He never bites her when he mounts up, just gets on and gets going. If they do get aggressive then we've already areas to separate them though hadn't assumed we'd need to until perhaps next year.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 29-05-2008, 10:34 AM   #2
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

He is only just smaller than my adult male. He will experiement at this age most certainly. If he gets too much for her I would give her rest time away from him.

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
*tam*

Thanks for replying. They are away from each other at the moment as they weren't being particularly discreet and I had the neighbours three year old watching over the fence and asking what was going on!
Old 29-05-2008, 10:52 AM   #4
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

Sounds as bad as my ibera, when the male is in full throttle you can hear him in the house

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
*tam*

I can only imagine! My explanation was that they were playing and he was talking to her!!