Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 19-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #1
touie
Hatched

Default Selling tortoises

If selling tortoises, apart from making sure that they are microchipped what else do you need to put in place?

I'm a bit undecided whether I want to or not at the moment but I'm at work before it's warm enough to put them outside, they are usually asleep by the time I come home (in the summer). I don't have any power outside for a heat source but wouldn't want to leave them out all night anyway, id be worried about them being stolen! And just to top it off a new house has popped up right at the end of my garden blocking a lot of sun! I live on a new estate there was a nice field there when I moved in I'm also too scared to hibernate them so they are all in my kitchen at the moment!
touie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 08:31 PM   #2
veggie86
Incubating

It depends, hat type of tortoises are they?

1 husband, 5 dogs, 1 cat.....and Iberas Pickles, Poppy and Pip
veggie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
touie
Hatched

They are Herman's tortoises
touie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 08:11 AM   #4
Pussygalore
Adult

once they reach a certain size and I think its now 60mm instead of 100mm they must be chipped and have their permanent/adult article 10 certificate, apart from this there's nothing more required to sell them. I wrote a caresheet which I emailed anyone interested before having them come to see the torts that way if they were still interested once they'd found out about the care etc they could get back in touch with me. It saved having to repeat the same information at every phone call and they obviously have to have the set up ready before having a tort, I also liked to meet any new owner and show them how the torts were looked after etc but some don't like to have people come to their house and prefer to meet somewhere but thats up to you. I know I always like to see where an animal has come from and how well it was looked after, say that the new owner can get in touch with you if they have any problems and suggest that they join the forum as its the best place for help, sell at the going rate that way you won't have people who just want to sell the torts on for a profit. I also kept a tortoise untill the owners were ready and did deliver a couple if they couldn't get to us I tried to give each tort the best chance of finding a good home and I had Ibera.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #5
johnsy
Egg

We lost our certificate in a family relocation and have never had our tort chipped.

Some 8-9 years later where thinking about rehoming our Trev as we now feel he's not the getting the attention/love he deserves now all our time is dedicated to our new born daughter

Do I need to obtain a new cert etc before looking to re Home?

Any info greatly appreciated
johnsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 09:50 AM   #6
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsy View Post
We lost our certificate in a family relocation and have never had our tort chipped.

Some 8-9 years later where thinking about rehoming our Trev as we now feel he's not the getting the attention/love he deserves now all our time is dedicated to our new born daughter

Do I need to obtain a new cert etc before looking to re Home?

Any info greatly appreciated
If you gift your tortoise then you are fine, but with no papers you would be breaking the law if you try to sell him
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 08:03 AM   #7
Pussygalore
Adult

get in touch with Defra, you might be able to get him chipped and a new certificate if you want to sell him. If you give him away make sure you give the new owner a letter saying that as they may want to try themselves to get papers for him. Without a letter it will all just come back to you as the owner that gave the tort away.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote