Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 27-02-2015, 08:51 AM   #21
Pussygalore
Adult

I used a herp nursery for 3 years before giving up the torts and had a 100% hatch of all fertile eggs, an average of 20 per year, once I'd worked out the temp difference from the readout. The incubater went with the new owner who has been using it since again with good results so I can't say anything against them.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 11:10 AM   #22
mark r
Hatched

after a short stint using a Hep 2 and my hatch rate dropping to almost zero, ive gone back to the Hobabator and my hatch rate is back up.

I always have 2 running side by side one with eggs in one as a spare in case of problems like yours, I have both running at the same temprature even though one is empty, id rather waste a little electric than loose hatchlings
mark r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:40 PM   #23
Hanako
Hatchling

Well, after listening to Mark r, I decided to do an experiment. I had a number of eggs that did not hatch this year, although last year my success rate was 2 successful out of 3 eggs. This year in the same incubator - nothing. (to be fair, I think my problem this year were too young males, not the incubator).

Anyway, my girl laid three eggs today. I put them into the vermiculite (completely covered them). The substrate it slightly damp. Not quite wet but not dry. Let's see whether the fan in my herp nursery will dry out the eggs. In theory, the eggs are in the ground in the nature, and they do sometimes get slightly wet if it rains. I wonder if this will work better for the incubator I have.
Hanako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:58 AM   #24
emma_mcraf
Adult

I've only ever had one egg, a surprise one laid by a female I'd purchased 6 weeks prior to laying. I used a herp II and it did the job just fine. I used an external thermometer and hygrometer and didn't just rely on the incubator's thermometer. The egg was placed on top of the vermiculite, sunk down slightly but not covered, and there was no problem with it drying out. I kept a separate container of water on the shelf below.

Good luck with your new eggs Hanna.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

Last edited by emma_mcraf; 06-03-2015 at 10:57 AM.
emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:55 AM   #25
mark r
Hatched

good luck with the eggs.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:53 AM   #26
Hanako
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark r View Post
good luck with the eggs.
Thank you. To be fair, last year the incubator worked just fine for me, and this year's unhatched eggs have been infertile, so I don't think it was the incubator's fault. But better safe then sorry and the eggs should be able to hatch even when fully covered by the substrate considering that in the nature they are fully covered too. We will see if it makes any difference.
Hanako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:08 PM   #27
mark r
Hatched

i was loosing fertile eggs, if their not fertile thats nature but when i was loosing so many fertile eggs there had to be a reason, i may be wrong in my findings but its the only thing i could narrow it down to and since changing ive hatchlings again (9 just hatched)