Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 12-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #21
John
Incubating

I uderstand
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #22
John
Incubating

not too cut you off but the wife needs the snow shoveled,thank you for your time and knowledge hope too speak again. john
Old 12-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #23
onarock
Hatched

squamata, I recently got an email from richard after asking him his advice on my newly aquired 22" 50lb female leopard. EJ, maybe I can send you the same pics as I would like to know your opinion as well.

Most breeders insist you must have collecting data on the original adults, the parents must be over 20-inches, and all their babies must had double spots on their central scutes. There are plenty of G. p. pardalis in the wild which don't meet all of this criteria but that is what the hobbyist identification is. It appears that you can vaguely see what appears to be double spots on the central scutes so that is a good indication. My male pardalis came from a breeder, whose adults meet all of the criteria. My female was collected in South Africa (no location data), is only about 18 or 19 inches, and not all of her babies have double spots on the central scutes so some some breeders insist my tortoises are not G. p. pardalis.
onarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #24
onarock
Hatched

squamata, he also wrote me this in regards to p.pardalis

What you are really looking for are tortoises from specific localities not specific subspecies. My 18-19 inch tortoise was imported from South Africa into the USA about 20 years ago and was about 6 inches at the time. I had another female that came into the USA from South Africa about 30 years ago and had the typical double spots, produced babies with double spots but never got much over 16-inches (died unexpectedly last year). When I was in South Africa I saw every variation and size of leopard tortoise you can imagine. The big G.p.pardalis looking animals come from specific locations. I have a leopard tortoise, I hatched from parents from Kenya and it is now almost 20-inches and almost identical to the "sunsethypo" leopard tortoise picture after you have returned the "Hue" to the normal setting. Color, size, and shape also depend on how the tortoise has been raised.

Sorry to muddy the waters but specific locality data is a must. What we need is a comprehensive DNA study done on leopard tortoises but so far I don't know of any study.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #25
EJ
Adult

On wild caught animals over a few kilos... all bets are off. The juvenile markings are usually worn off by then. Most leopard tortoise keepers can just tell the difference between the 2 races but it is based on nothing more than experience. It is very difficult to put into words so that the reader could understand.

Notice I mentioned spots and peppering. I've seen single spots but they are not symetrical and did have the peppering spots. Again... this is just in the babies.

I totally agree that the collecting data is the most sure way or if the hatchlings look like the one I posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onarock View Post
squamata, I recently got an email from richard after asking him his advice on my newly aquired 22" 50lb female leopard. EJ, maybe I can send you the same pics as I would like to know your opinion as well.

Most breeders insist you must have collecting data on the original adults, the parents must be over 20-inches, and all their babies must had double spots on their central scutes. There are plenty of G. p. pardalis in the wild which don't meet all of this criteria but that is what the hobbyist identification is. It appears that you can vaguely see what appears to be double spots on the central scutes so that is a good indication. My male pardalis came from a breeder, whose adults meet all of the criteria. My female was collected in South Africa (no location data), is only about 18 or 19 inches, and not all of her babies have double spots on the central scutes so some some breeders insist my tortoises are not G. p. pardalis.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #26
onarock
Hatched

Any thoughts on her. I just got her . about 22" and 50lbs

Old 12-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #27
John
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by onarock View Post
squamata, he also wrote me this in regards to p.pardalis

What you are really looking for are tortoises from specific localities not specific subspecies. My 18-19 inch tortoise was imported from South Africa into the USA about 20 years ago and was about 6 inches at the time. I had another female that came into the USA from South Africa about 30 years ago and had the typical double spots, produced babies with double spots but never got much over 16-inches (died unexpectedly last year). When I was in South Africa I saw every variation and size of leopard tortoise you can imagine. The big G.p.pardalis looking animals come from specific locations. I have a leopard tortoise, I hatched from parents from Kenya and it is now almost 20-inches and almost identical to the "sunsethypo" leopard tortoise picture after you have returned the "Hue" to the normal setting. Color, size, and shape also depend on how the tortoise has been raised.

Sorry to muddy the waters but specific locality data is a must. What we need is a comprehensive DNA study done on leopard tortoises but so far I don't know of any study.
so onarock what i am getting here correct me if i'm wrong, is there could be a chance that the tort i recieved as babcocki is p. pardalis but would be hard too pass as same due too the criteria set by breeders.which was my second suspicion.another question i had was it is my uderstanding from what i have read that p.p. are darker in color than p.b. you probably both know where i got that from
Old 12-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #28
John
Incubating

just too clarify when i say recieved as babcocki i mean this is the tort i recieved for the babcocki price with a note stating "i think you will be quite happy with this tort" it has at no time been represented as either or by rishard i have an email out too him no response yet.when i first recieved him i was just happy with him so never thought too ask about his origin.i am no less happy now but i am curious
Old 12-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #29
onarock
Hatched

Ha, yes I know where you got that from. I tried to slow down the thinking on that position also and was shown the door. yes your tortoise that you recieved thinking it could be p.babcocki could be p.pardalis or a hybrid. If I am understanding richard correctly, it sounds as if p.pardalis in his etimation take on all forms, but in the traditional hobbyist opinion it is only true p.pardalis if it meets the criteria that he mentions in the email. Your coloration quote meets my understanding as well, but it sounds as that might not be set in concrete.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:36 PM   #30
onarock
Hatched

EJ, the picture you posted of the hatchling from Don Boyer, is that a tortoise he produced? or the Zoo?