Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 13-11-2006, 03:19 PM   #1
Cheffi

Default Indian Star substrate advice please...Update.

For these particular tortoises which is best.....50/50 topsoil and playsand........or 50/50 topsoil and hemp? If possible I want to not have to use bark. Also can I use the topsoil mix at one end of table and use pure hemp at the other end?

I have taken out all the bark. I couldn't find a seed tray or anything the correct size for the soil mix so I got some wood and made one. My first ever woodwork project. What's even more surprising is I got the measurement right and it fitted. I filled it with a 50/50 mix sand/sterilised topsoil. I bought a huge bale of Abiose hemp (will last for yonks) and laid on rest of floor. Laid the slate and log etc back down.

I have to say I thought my tort's were active before but they absolutely love this substrate change. They are wandering all over and both seem to find it great fun to climb over into the soil section. One thing that I find more comforting is that they both find it much easier to burrow into the hemp and snuggle up for the night than that rough bark, and I think the lighter substrate looks better and I can find the poo's!!
Old 13-11-2006, 03:24 PM   #2
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

I think an area of each would work well for them. Darren (piglet) will be able to tell you what he uses when he is next online I'm sure

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2006, 03:31 PM   #3
Cheffi

Wow you guys are quick. Thanks. Just need to know which mix to go for now.
Old 16-11-2006, 11:42 PM   #4
piglet
Adult

Missed this post some how sorry.

I keep my stars on a very mixed substrate 2/3 of the enclosure is made up of 20% sand,60% topsoil,10% beech chips and 10% aubiouse (hemp) then 1/3 is made up of neat top soil kept slightly damp this is used for nesting and were they spend a great deal of there waking hours basking.
A large slap is in place to feed off and cacti (artifical) to break up the enclosure.
Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2006, 08:59 AM   #5
Cheffi

How old are your torts Darren?
Old 17-11-2006, 04:15 PM   #6
piglet
Adult

They all adults Cheffi from 10-16 yrs at a rough guess, two males and three females.
My group are part of a european captive breeding programme and any offspring they produce are not for sale for profit or gain but are gifted to other star breeders who are also participating in the programme .
Most of my tortoises are in breeding programmes and animals are occasionally offered for sale to cover electricity and veterinary bills .

Darren

Old 17-11-2006, 06:43 PM   #7
Cheffi

I was only asking how old they were as when mentioning the substrate used you talked about nesting so I assumed correctly they were not babes like mine. Mine seem very happy in the 1/3rd soil/sand mix and 2/3rd hemp substrate. I'm going to leave it like that for the time being.
Old 17-11-2006, 07:04 PM   #8
piglet
Adult

I would say thats an excellent substrate to rear stars on i will no doubt be usuing the same mix for my own .

Sorry i rambled a bit next time i will just answer the question asked .

Darren

Old 17-11-2006, 07:12 PM   #9
aprillinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet
I would say thats an excellent substrate to rear stars on i will no doubt be usuing the same mix for my own .

Darren
darren i definatly like it when you ramble because then i start learning i am sure others will agree
Old 17-11-2006, 07:13 PM   #10
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprillinda
Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet

Darren
darren i definatly like it when you ramble because then i start learning i am sure others will agree
Yes ramblings good

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote