Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Ask The Experts > Identification/Sexing.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #11
EJ
Adult

Everytime I find one it's like the first time. Spring time rains is when you see the most out and about. It's been very dry the last few weeks so I haven't seen any but my daughter helped one across the road a few weeks back.

I'm not allowed to keep any terrestrial reptiles that are native to Georgia and it is very expensive and difficult to get a permit. I'm not allowed to keep ANY box turtles in Georgia. I can keep water turtles except those that are nationally protected. I should be getting a pair of Loggerhead Musk turtles in a few weeks and I'm on the lookout for a pair of muds and musks.

This was my boxie setup when I lived in California...

I added leaf litter and mulch. I later added logs and branches. I was forced to move in March of one year and they were still in hibernation. I couldn't find 6. I had 10. The workers later found the turtles... they kept them. Shows you the caracter of some people.

The only thing I added after the initial planting of the worms was occasionally berries, mushrooms and Mazuri tortoise chow and they did great. I know there were eggs and babies but I never found them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopalou View Post
Wow they are beeeeeautiful. Everything seems to be on the 'drab' side on this side of the world.... LOL I can't imagine how exciting it must be to find a box turtle in your garden. Did you have to get rid of your Boxies because of restrictions in the law Ed? Could you not get a permit or anything?

I have just made a 'wormery' for her.... it beats going out in the rain to dig up worms for her dinner
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #12
hoopalou
Incubating

We have very few wild animals here in Ireland... even fewer than Britain. The only reptile that occurs naturally is the viviparous or common lizard. But they are not very 'common' . The odd Terrapin (red eared slider or yellow belly) has been spotted in the Liffey.... but they are abandoned pets.

It would be amazing (and kind of mind-blowing) to help a box turtle across the road. It must have made your daughter's day. Your box turtle enclosure was great... I'm sure they were very happy there, and it's ****ty the way some people's brain works... surely they knew that they were pets?

I'll know who to come to now if I have any problems with my 'drab' girl
0.4.0 Bell's Hingebacks (K.B.nogeuyi)
0.1.0 Terrapene carolina major
1.1.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
1.0.0 Blue fronted Amazon Parrot
2.0.0 Budgies
0.6.0 Laying hens
2.1.0 Children
hoopalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #13
EJ
Adult

Blame it all on St. Paddy. I still love the country and the people. I'd like to make another trip back for some fishing.

The daughter only did it for my sake. She has no interest in the animals.

Most of the photos I have look real natural. They required very little care in that setup. I actually didn't keep boxies until a couple of years before I left San Diego. I traded an Aldabra for a bunch of really nice Eastern Boxies.

I told the new owner and the neighbors to look out for them and the neighbors knew I kept chelonians.

I can give you good natural history information but for captive care you should turn to the local SW God and Paul.

Quote:
We have very few wild animals here in Ireland... even fewer than Britain. The only reptile that occurs naturally is the viviparous or common lizard. But they are not very 'common' . The odd Terrapin (red eared slider or yellow belly) has been spotted in the Liffey.... but they are abandoned pets.

It would be amazing (and kind of mind-blowing) to help a box turtle across the road. It must have made your daughter's day. Your box turtle enclosure was great... I'm sure they were very happy there, and it's ****ty the way some people's brain works... surely they knew that they were pets?

I'll know who to come to now if I have any problems with my 'drab' girl
and
Old 02-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #14
Box girl
Sub Adult

Hi couple of things really, the fact that the shell is not smooth shows CB growth and that it is not clearly one specie or another this is very common in Captive breds. We have a few like this ourselves. Great torts though
Quote:
Boxgirl.... I would be interested to know why you think it's captive bred? What are the sign's you are seeing? I am on a steep learning curve as regards Box turtles and would be interested to know.

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #15
hoopalou
Incubating

"Blame it all on St. Paddy"

Or the Menapian Glaciation.... your choice

"I still love the country and the people"

and we as a people love a rabble-rouser... which is probably why I like your posts so much

"I'd like to make another trip back for some fishing."

If you do, give me a shout
0.4.0 Bell's Hingebacks (K.B.nogeuyi)
0.1.0 Terrapene carolina major
1.1.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
1.0.0 Blue fronted Amazon Parrot
2.0.0 Budgies
0.6.0 Laying hens
2.1.0 Children
hoopalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #16
EJ
Adult

I like the St. Paddy story better.

Quote:
"Blame it all on St. Paddy"

Or the Menapian Glaciation.... your choice

"I still love the country and the people"

and we as a people love a rabble-rouser... which is probably why I like your posts so much

"I'd like to make another trip back for some fishing."

If you do, give me a shout
and
Old 02-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #17
Kirkie
Adult

Gulf Coast all day long in my eyes.

Look at the plastron on this one, identical.*

Nice white chin too. Big head (the turtle).

Get hold of this book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/097889...dir_mdp_mobile
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #18
Box girl
Sub Adult

Note though Kirkie your tortoise is much bigger which means a gulf coast. There are so many intergrades out there it is real difficult to confirm true bred boxies.
Paul has alos identified that all gulf coast have one scute the first on the top of the shell the is much longer and thinner than the others. We were amazed when we thought this and true of all of our gulf coasts and we have a few!
How are your boxies?

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #19
Kirkie
Adult

Mine are good thanks, Ornate eggs cooking again. It just looks like a GC too me. Who know what effect growing up in a hairdressers has had on it. Maybe the growths a bit stunted (no offence to the new owner ).
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #20
EJ
Adult

Look at the size of your turtle. Older Gulfcoasts have little to no pattern on the carapace.

Boxies by nature have a patternless plastron for those that have smooth shells... fossorial nature.

The main key is the size. Gulf Coast boxies get to 10 inches or better... really big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkie View Post
Gulf Coast all day long in my eyes.

Look at the plastron on this one, identical.*

Nice white chin too. Big head (the turtle).

Get hold of this book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/097889...dir_mdp_mobile
and