Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Ask The Experts > Identification/Sexing.

Old 31-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #31
bulldozer
Egg

Put her on the scales today and see is 3349grams. she is booked in for a free nail trim at my local vets (he seemed to know what he was talking about and loves tortoises)
Might have to give her a new name now we know she is a girl, maybe Dozy Dora?
She has had lots of warm baths and I think she has drank some water but not seen her eat yet !?
Not very sunny at moment so just in my house, maybe i should try a lamp(she has never had one before though.
bulldozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:09 AM   #32
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

How long is her carapace (straight carapace length (SCL))?

Danny
Old 02-04-2012, 02:36 AM   #33
EJ
Adult

I could see it is a big tortoise... but... 3.3 Kg?????

It is a beautiful and unique looking animal.

Try to find out exactly how the original owner kept and fed her and try to duplicate that as much as possible.

You are basically dealing with a wild caught tortoise. That is... the tortoise has been imprinted with a specific lifestyle and you have to reprogram the tortoise. Keep in mind that tortoises usually do not like change.

Bottom line... try to change as little as possible for now and make the changes you would like... very gradually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldozer View Post
Put her on the scales today and see is 3349grams. she is booked in for a free nail trim at my local vets (he seemed to know what he was talking about and loves tortoises)
Might have to give her a new name now we know she is a girl, maybe Dozy Dora?
She has had lots of warm baths and I think she has drank some water but not seen her eat yet !?
Not very sunny at moment so just in my house, maybe i should try a lamp(she has never had one before though.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:13 AM   #34
Dexieii
Egg

We too inherited a Graeca of a similar age a few years ago. Toby also had never had a heat lamp and had somehow survived on an abysmal diet, but he took to his new lifestyle very well. He now lives outside 24/7 with his own heated shed and greenhouse and is thriving. Try the heat lamp, I bet she loves it, Toby took to his instantly

www.cinqueportsrescue.co.uk
Dexieii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #35
bulldozer
Egg

Hello. A quick up date on how Bulldozer is doing(now known as Dora)and another question that you might help with!? It took ages for Dora to start eating but when the sun came out and she went out she started to eat her weight is down to 3278g but I'm sure it will go up now she is eating. Danny wanted to know her scl if I have it right it's 22cm. Did take a photo but need my sons help to put it up!
My question now is can she stay outside 24/7? I have a large area of garden for her and an old rabbit hutch for her to shelter in but she likes to make a home in the hedge. She can't get out and has water but I'm not sure when I should bring her in (rain, cold,storms...!?)she never seems that happy in the house and moves away from the lights I got her. She is much more active outside and eats but can she stay out all summer like this? I have looked at other tortoises that are kept out but they all seem a lot younger and smaller and don't seem to be in such an open area as Dora. Thanks for help x
bulldozer is offline   Reply With Quote