Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 14-03-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
abee_fell_
Hatched

Default Very Worried

Hi everyone,
well as I posted a few weeks back, Honey and Mustard have been diagnosed with parasites, they are getting treated for this this week, however I've noticed poor Honey has been off her food ever since the vet visit 2 weeks ago and sleeping a lot more - she's usually the first one to the food and first up in the mornings. Could this be stress related to the vets visit or coincidental that the parasites are making her feel poorly as they have been diagnosed?

Also, I have been growing weeds in their cage for the last few weeks now and they had get really nice and healthy however over the last day a mushroom as sprouted in the pot! I have put the whole thing in the bin as wasn't sure on what kind of mushroom it was, but should I replace all the soil and substrate just in case there are spores in the cage - could this be what has made Honey go quiet?

Hope someone can help! x
abee_fell_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by abee_fell_ View Post

Hi everyone,
well as I posted a few weeks back, Honey and Mustard have been diagnosed with parasites, they are getting treated for this this week, however I've noticed poor Honey has been off her food ever since the vet visit 2 weeks ago and sleeping a lot more - she's usually the first one to the food and first up in the mornings. Could this be stress related to the vets visit or coincidental that the parasites are making her feel poorly as they have been diagnosed?

Also, I have been growing weeds in their cage for the last few weeks now and they had get really nice and healthy however over the last day a mushroom as sprouted in the pot! I have put the whole thing in the bin as wasn't sure on what kind of mushroom it was, but should I replace all the soil and substrate just in case there are spores in the cage - could this be what has made Honey go quiet?

Hope someone can help! x
Have they been wormed by the vet? That can sometimes reduce a tortoises appetite. Just make sure your bathing them plenty to keep them hydrated. At this stage I wouldn't worry too much about them eating.
Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #3
abee_fell_
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen M View Post
Have they been wormed by the vet? That can sometimes reduce a tortoises appetite. Just make sure your bathing them plenty to keep them hydrated. At this stage I wouldn't worry too much about them eating.
Helen xx
Noo, they havn't been wormed as yet, they're appointment is on Wednesday. I've been bathing them as much as I can, but they're asleep so much I don't want to wake them I'm going to have to be cruel to be kind I think thanks! x
abee_fell_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
lizzy k
Incubating

One of my Horsfields was off his food before and after worming, and I put Reptoboost in his baths. He also had to be tempted with romaine lettuce which they don't usually get but it worked to get him eating again.
Old 14-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
Evie
Sub Adult

I would say it is normal for them to feel really off when they have paracites - my female Leopard seems to get paracites every time she lays - I am sure it is stress related.

She goes off her food and sleeps more - once she has had the metronidazole she soon perks up - but she has to have sedation to administer the tube.
Evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 08:07 AM   #6
tortilicious
Hatched

Hi this is normal and just one of the signs yur tort may have worms or parasites they will soon pick up after the worming is over after a few days they will turn into munching machines
Melanie
tortilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
Box girl
Sub Adult

If your tort has parasites then once the treament is done and the parasites gone I feed live yoghurt as this starts the natural bacteria off again. If you do not wish to do this then you can get the bacteria in 'pill' form form a health food shop and this can beadded to teh food. As sais by other reptoboost helps as well. Parasites ie flagellates will put them off their food.

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #8
themayneman
Banned
Incubating

Send a message via MSN to themayneman

Hiya Abee, I took my Torts to the vets recently for a check up and to be honest I ended up telling them more information than they could tell me! I decided to take matters into my own hands so to speak and sourced some Panacur 2.5% small animal wormer via the internet. I then followed the instructions contained within the box and "hey presto" after a few days my Torts appear now to be worm free ... and I saved an absolute fortune into the bargain! (we have 15 torts!) I was invited by Box girl to visit the Free Health check for Tortoises at the Birmingham Nature Centre Pershore Road, (Selly Oak) on Sunday April 11th 10.00 till 4.00. so why dont you bring yours along too? Hope to see you there. Regards, Gary
themayneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #9
Box girl
Sub Adult

We'd love to see you there Abee.

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #10
tartaruga amore
Sub Adult

tesco do some lovely lambs lettuce to temp them after their treatment

i would throw the soil away, and i would keep them on newspaper for a while as you can change this 2/3 times a day so they dont get re infected
tartaruga amore is offline   Reply With Quote