Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 10-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
cherylahutch
Adult

Default Outdoor enclosure

We have made an out door area for Elvis, we got one of those sand pit with the wooden sides and have filled it with soil which has not been treated with anything. Have put the tortoise friendly seeds in for his weed to grow but it is looking a bit dull with nothing growing I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of pre grown plants that are safe? are those mini rose bushes from the supermarket safe for the tort? they are really pretty and I know he can have rose petals. and ideas really appreciated.
cherylahutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
kkenny
Sub Adult

Not sure about the rose bushes but I have a spider plant, heather, mint, ice plant, fushia and geranium. Self planted (seeds from this site) milk thistle, vetch, timothy grass ++++

be nice to see a pic !!

Spartacus, THB, March 2013
Henry, THB, July 2008
kkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
burnt toast
Adult

I think with anything you buy from garden centre's etc you have to weather for about a month, take off as much of the original compost, repot in plain topsoil & some say to remove flowers leaves but obviously you wouldnt be left with a lot then leave outside/water well for about a month.

I know they can have rose flowers not sure about foliage.

Have you considered plastic plants whilst your others grow. & little fences to use as sight breakers, makes them walk round things, stops them seeing the whole enclosure at once & it works. I picked up some little fences from a £ shop. + they love arches of any kind for exploring/hiding under. You can buy little wooden ones from pet shops or try to get an old roofing tile, I got one from our local tip!! Have a look in the housing section for idea's.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #4
Eremiel
Hatched

I have bought quite a few items from this website! > http://www.naturescape.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

They do pre-grown weeds and also other english wild plants and flowers. They came in only 3 days to my door

1:1:0 Testudo Agrionemys horsfieldii.
0:1:0 Pain in the bum Cat.
Eremiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
cherylahutch
Adult

Hi
Thanks for the help everyone will have a look at the plants sounds like a good solution to the problem.
cherylahutch is offline   Reply With Quote