Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 08-08-2006, 11:38 PM   #11
wizzasmum

I was just about to say that Dan. It's very important to know which type of injection it is as a subcutaneous can do a fair bit of damage if put into the muscle and if you hit a joint it can cause a lot of unnecesay pain. Make sure the vet shows you exactly how and tells you what sort it is. Watch him and them make sure he watches you do a practise run too. I don't think he would expect you to do IV though as that involves drawing it back too.
My vet prefers to use alternate front legs - something to do with the time taken for the drugs to get to other parts of the body. Apparently back leg shots are not so effective, obviously not all do the same though.
Good luck
Old 09-08-2006, 12:23 AM   #12
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

I use the front legs too Sue . Much easier to give shots in the front legs when your doing it alone. I do it in the backs of the front legs.

Dan
Old 09-08-2006, 12:59 AM   #13
aprillinda

vivp

i know it is bit different but i give myself approx 6 injections every day

with a new needle each time they do not hurt well they do not hurt me

not so sure if thy might hurt a tort

as said before practice on the orange or with a sterile empty needle on your own hand or leg

lots of people are understandably are bit scared of needles

just trying to reasure you

best of good luck

you can do it
Old 09-08-2006, 09:13 AM   #14
vivp
Hatched

she got me to pratice with a needle with water in it, i have to put it in the back leg , someone needs to pull her leg out and i have to inject the needle above her knee joint, went in really easily, have to do it every 3 day so first one tomorrow.
She looks really cute all bandaged up got to use wet dressing and wrap the other dressing all over her shell.
Anyway she is ok.

one last thing how do i get rid of the needles, was wondering if i should take them back when they do the checkup.
viv
vivp is offline   Reply With Quote