Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 27-09-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
pagan queen
Adult

Default 12 hours of light

Both my new hatchling and my adult iberas don't stay awake for 12 hours a day. They get up at 7am and are back in their plant pots by 5pm at the latest. How can they get 12 hours of light if they are hiden away? The temps are fine and both have periods of activity and rest but both go to bed early. I used to get Herbie up and bath him in the hope he would stay up longer but he would just stomp off to bed in a huff.
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
yuna1971
Adult

Lily doesnt ever stay up for the full 12hours. He will wander to bed for an afternoon nap at around 1pm/2pm. Then he comes out again when i come home.
You have to remember, it aint exactly peak summer weather now. Its starting to be cold. Mornings getting darker, days getting shorter. So you might find a little bit of winding down.
If you are overwintering , just keep the heat contained in the room, temps monitored, torts hydrated and continue providing what you are already doing. A good diet and good UV.
They do sense what things are like outside.
You might want to consider an additional strip for lighting purposes, Wendy?? It might make a difference.
A repti glo 2.0?? Go with something that will fit the horizontal of the table. It might help. But alot of it is down to a bit of a dip in temps and outside conditions...xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
TortBabe
Adult

I personally just turn their lights off when they have gone to bed for the night. My central heating is set at 18oc constantly to keep the background temps up
Old 27-09-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
swad1000
Adult

Mine never stay constantly active for 12 hours whether they are indoors or outside during the middle of summer, when indoors I have the lights in a timer so they at least get constant hours of day/ night to approximate natural conditions.
Before I had my out side enclosure I would change the hours if light by an hour a month to give 12 hours spring and autumn going up to 16 hours middle of summer.
swad1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
loublou95
Hatched

My one isn't awake the whole 12 hours either and i turn the lights of when she is in bed too, i always check the temperature and it is always fine
Jenna
loublou95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 09:17 PM   #6
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
Both my new hatchling and my adult iberas don't stay awake for 12 hours a day. They get up at 7am and are back in their plant pots by 5pm at the latest. How can they get 12 hours of light if they are hiden away? The temps are fine and both have periods of activity and rest but both go to bed early. I used to get Herbie up and bath him in the hope he would stay up longer but he would just stomp off to bed in a huff.
Wendy, the idea is to extend the day like a summer, it is a guide for new owner's as well or tort's that are trying to slow down and the keeper's don't want. Nowing your own tort's needs is the main, once you know they have turned in, i used to switch off about an hour after, when indoor's about 5pm ish.
Old 27-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #7
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

As Swad say's some tort's need more to keep them active, mine were only yearling's when i did this, the first year i did not hibernate and they were ok, but still turned in about 4 ish, 5 years on living outside they still, turn in about 4 to 5 pm
Old 27-09-2010, 09:51 PM   #8
ziggy's owner
Adult

Mu torts are still awake now lol,

2.0.0 spur thighs
2.3.0 hermanns
2.1.1 marginated
0.0.4 leopard
2.8.0 guinea pigs
1.2.0 Springers
1.0.0 hamster
0.0.1 Blue Tongue skink
2.2.0 Beardies
And tropical fish
Also have baby marginated tortoises for sale
ziggy's owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 09:53 PM   #9
pagan queen
Adult

This isn't a winter thing. Herbie has done this all through the summer when he was outside too. I would go out to bring him in at around 7 at the height of summer and he would be fast asleep and had been for a few hours. I wasn't too concerned about Herbie as he is a big boy and looked after himself pretty well for quite a few years. It's the baby I was worried about. I don't want her to miss out on her UVB allowance.
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 09:59 PM   #10
yuna1971
Adult

Maybe add a strip Wendy....maybe more light will stimulate the little one?
If the temps are good and you are maintaining good warmth then it could just be the light deterioration of late...some days lets face it - positively dull, even though there is no rain - today was one of them! xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote